Max just passed away :(

I think there are good aspects to bio active and bad. I chose not to go bioactive. Your dealing with a mini eco system and it can be hard to get everything perfectly balanced. Also harder to find fecal and urate to know how the cham is doing in that way. I personally prefer dragon ledges and a clean bottom. I have more control over the environment and know everything that is coming out of him. I tend to be very cray cray though about things being perfect. Which may be why I lean to a bare bottom enclosure rather than bio active lol.
I 100% agree, you add a ton more variables with bioactive

I really, really want to try a bioactive enclosure. I'm kind of leaning towards that. But I'm also a can of the 'clean' (looking) setups the dragon ledges provide.
I would suggest getting the Dragon Ledges and setting everything up (for lack of a better word) normally. Become comfortable in that your parameters all meet the standards and that you know what you’re doing. After that, then you may want to consider again setting up bioactively. It really isn’t difficult or time consuming to add later and while it can be a bit pricey to gather the various soil amendments and such, it shouldn’t be that crazy expensive. Take time. Think things over. Process your grief. When ready, there are some wonderful breeders with beautiful panther chameleons that are well worth their cost. Take the recommendations from members here and look to the sponsors too. 💗

I would suggest getting the Dragon Ledges and setting everything up (for lack of a better word) normally. Become comfortable in that your parameters all meet the standards and that you know what you’re doing. After that, then you may want to consider again setting up bioactively. It really isn’t difficult or time consuming to add later and while it can be a bit pricey to gather the various soil amendments and such, it shouldn’t be that crazy expensive. Take time. Think things over. Process your grief. When ready, there are some wonderful breeders with beautiful panther chameleons that are well worth their cost. Take the recommendations from members here and look to the sponsors too. 💗
This is what I'm going to do. what you are all saying makes the most sense for me, I think. Especially since we will be getting a male this time around. I totally forgot to check out the sponsors (my mind has been all over!). I'm going to check those out now. But I've decided not to even begin purchasing our next chameleon until after everything is 100% set up, and I've had feedback on here. Going to order the enclosure + the dragon ledges tonight. I think over the course of next week, I will see if my son wants to go stick hunting around our property to begin finding sticks for him <3

@MissSkittles when you get a moment could you let me know how you put your (2) 2x2x4 enclosures together? Did you go with Bill from the Chameleon Academy's strategy?

@MissSkittles when you get a moment could you let me know how you put your (2) 2x2x4 enclosures together? Did you go with Bill from the Chameleon Academy's strategy?
I think I put mine together before Bill gave instructions…or I wasn’t aware he had some.
I had to remove the screening from the two sides that I joined. It’s a pretty simple thing to do…get a flat head screwdriver and gently remove the spline (rubber bit in the groove) and the screen will usually come out with it. I had a complication of how exactly to hold the two enclosures snugly together. After wandering around Lowe’s for a bit, I decided to try tiny little hinges. It worked out pretty well for me. There is a small gap from the screw heads that hold each enclosure together having a rounded head. If you have more patience than me, you could substitute flat head screws. What also helped hold the two enclosures together is my shelving unit. I use Edsel muscle racks that are 2x4’ and it’s a very snug for but two enclosures do fit. Using screws with flat heads would probably give just enough so help reduce struggling to fit them just so.
When I first set them up, I had made and used faux backgrounds. They looked nice and I could attach my branches with wire thru them…they were very dark though. Redoing the first enclosure, I used one set of Dragon Ledges, 1 faux panel and got a light sky shower curtain. I like the lighter look much better. Eventually I’ll get around to putting in the substrate. My boys used every inch of their space on their patrols. I’ve got one of my sassy girls in one and while she does seem to prefer one side, I do see her wandering to the other side too. It’s taken her a while I think to get used to having the extra space.

I think I put mine together before Bill gave instructions…or I wasn’t aware he had some.
I had to remove the screening from the two sides that I joined. It’s a pretty simple thing to do…get a flat head screwdriver and gently remove the spline (rubber bit in the groove) and the screen will usually come out with it. I had a complication of how exactly to hold the two enclosures snugly together. After wandering around Lowe’s for a bit, I decided to try tiny little hinges. It worked out pretty well for me. There is a small gap from the screw heads that hold each enclosure together having a rounded head. If you have more patience than me, you could substitute flat head screws. What also helped hold the two enclosures together is my shelving unit. I use Edsel muscle racks that are 2x4’ and it’s a very snug for but two enclosures do fit. Using screws with flat heads would probably give just enough so help reduce struggling to fit them just so.
When I first set them up, I had made and used faux backgrounds. They looked nice and I could attach my branches with wire thru them…they were very dark though. Redoing the first enclosure, I used one set of Dragon Ledges, 1 faux panel and got a light sky shower curtain. I like the lighter look much better. Eventually I’ll get around to putting in the substrate. My boys used every inch of their space on their patrols. I’ve got one of my sassy girls in one and while she does seem to prefer one side, I do see her wandering to the other side too. It’s taken her a while I think to get used to having the extra space.
That's a good idea with the flat screws. Because I was wondering how you tackled that gap. I actually had bought a very large bakers rack but it's larger. I went ahead and bought 1 2x2x4 for now, and was planning to get the 2nd one later but now I'm thinking maybe I should just do this and get it all now. hmm I'll sleep on it and maybe decide tomorrow. At least I should only need like 1 more smaller piece for the back of one of the closures for the dragon ledge. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom