Just bought 2 True Blue Nosy Be Panther Chams

A lot of young chameleons like to screen walk on the top of the enclosure. Usually they grow out of it as they get bigger.

What's your temp at the basking spot perch?

A lot of chams turn dark when they're basking, so they can absorb more heat.

Temp in the basking spot is around 85-90 ish. Thats the uvb light in the picture. the heat light is a little higher clamped on the wall

Ok, then they should be warm enough. Just make sure the screen doesn't get too hot, so they don't get burned when they're being goofy and climbing on the ceiling. As they get bigger, it gets harder to climb around like that, so they usually stop doing it. I had a jackson that wouldn't stop doing it, so I put plastic fencing on the ceiling so he wouldn't tear out his nails.

ya i just measured the temp on the very top of the screen and its around 100. if i move the light up to make it 85-90 around the very top of the screen, the basking spot wont the that warm. Should i move the light up?

It might not be a bad idea to get it off the screen just a little bit, just to be safe. More than likely it would be fine, but I'd feel awful if one of your little guys got burned over such an easy fix.
I think Pyschobunny had a post where he used clips to raise the heat lamp just a touch. I'll try to find it, and post the link. What are the ambient temps in the cage?

the heat lamp is way off the cage its the uvb light thats right on top of it

heres some pics, the heat lamps are the ones up on the wall. Measuring Ambiant temp in there right now about 1/3 of the way down the cage

Attachments

• 20150115_162920.jpg
    20150115_162920.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 251
  • 20150115_162943.jpg
    20150115_162943.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 219
Couldn't find the post, but pm'ed him or hopefully he'll see this thread. :) It's a really easy way to get the lamp just off the screen.

LOL Missed that post, sorry about that. You look good to go, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I thought the lamps were resting on top of the screen. :)

I am surprised that you're getting such warm temps with the bulb being that far away and 60 watts.

Some chameleons won't ever learn to cup feed.. however those guys are still pretty small compared to those large cages. I would offer a cup So they have a ready supply and let some free range so they can hunt

got a plant today off my mom. dont know exactly what kind of plant it is but both chams really like it. I had i sitting out on the table and they both were trying to get out of their cages to get on it lol. I ended up putting it inside the males cage. So the males cage is completely done. Only need a plant for the females cage and it will e done as well. The plant i got from my mom also has like an 8ft vine in it as well. i figure pretty soon i can take the fake plants out if the vine keeps growing at the rate it has been

The male is warming up to me a little, but will still not hand feed. And well the whole cup thing aint going so well lol. Free range is the only time i see hime eat. The female will snatch crickets right out of my hand no problem tho

I've been feeding the crickets and superworms gutloaded with carrots for now untill i get some proper gutload.

Let me know what you guys think. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• 20150116_224750.jpg
    20150116_224750.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 20150116_224859.jpg
    20150116_224859.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 20150116_231837.jpg
    20150116_231837.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 20150116_233120.jpg
    20150116_233120.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 20150116_235612.jpg
    20150116_235612.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 196
ok so im switching it up. the plant i got from my mom im gonna leave out on the table for a plant for them to be on outside their enclosure.

I got 2 majestic plants from walmart today that im gonna put one in each.

2i8iyvc.jpg

Im gonna have to redo the whole cage tho ,,,, pull everything out to get these new plants in because their huge lol ,,,, and then put everything back in around them.

I've read that these plants are ok to use but could use some reassurance.

Was also wondering what you guys think about using this as a feeding cage???? As with all of this foliage i will have in there cages now it will be hard to keep track of free-ranging insects in there

rkocw0.jpg

Id obviously drape some vines along the top then let the food go at the bottom. I could stick them in there for like 10 minutes and they should be able to eat fine right? What do you think????

I've used the same kind of palm tree before, and it was ok. It's decent for cover, but not great for climbing. I like branchy plants better (ficus, hibiscus), or pothos draped around a good framework of climbing branches.
I wouldn't bother with a feeding cage. I think it may stress them out more than help them find food.

Yeah, those palms are not the best. My chams have cut their hands before. I use shefflera on the bottom and pothos hanging. Both can be bought year around at home depot or lowes.

You also do not need those expensive basking bulbs. just get a regular incandescent house bulb. I use 40-60 watts. These bulbs are much cheeper and are much easier to control the heat emission. Also, I would look into getting a t8 linear UVB down the road, much better. If you want to spend a little more money, get a t5 lighting setup from light your reptiles. One 48" fixture will cover both cages and you wont regret it. A mister is also a great piece of equipment.

I would also stay away from a feeding cage. I took on a rescue that had a feeding cage and it was a nightmare. I would just cup feed. google it and there will be plenty of responses.

i put the fake vines everywhere and all the fan leaves are wedged up against the bamboo. The foliage is real thick in the middle and i think there loving it. They have been very active today roaming all around the newly arranged cage.

On another note, the female is hand feeding no problom still, and the male still wont take it out of my hand, but as soon as i let the cricket go he grabs it right away.

Heres some pics anyway

v2sglz.jpg

21eqm1t.jpg

14ch2yq.jpg

2h2fjh2.jpg

314bh55.jpg

Back
Top Bottom