Is my chameleon ok?

carlenion

I bought a chameleon which is 6 month old on friday 24th sep along with a tall viv. Everything inside it the temp is about 90 and humidity 60ish. He seems to be going to the bottom of the viv quite often and always quite dark in colour. I'm not sure if there is something im doing wrong or if its because he is getting used to his viv. Any ideas people? chameleon.jpg

Word to the wise...

ye i thought that but its what reptile shop told me. need some info dont want him ill or stressed

The "Petstore" people are not really knowledgable... unfortunatley. They are not skilled nor do they properly care for animals they sell the majority of the time... on occasion, rare occasion you may find an exception to this or you could get lucky and talk to an employee who actually has Cham/reptile experience but typically this is not the case. So as a rule it's wise not to take a "Petstore recommendations" as the end all to advise or suggestion.

Help...

90 is too high and he is probably going to the bottom to cool down. What kind of lighting are you using?. Please fill out this form so we can help you!https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ He looks pretty small and young, your basking should be around 80 or so and your cage ambient temp no higher than 75 degrees.

Oh, also it's a great idea to fill out the form Carol is recommending, there are allot of very knowledable people here on the forums willing to help with the best care & set up but they need as much infor as you can give them to do thier best to help you.. Welcome and good luck.

Like others have said, 90 for a basking temp is much to high for a veiled chameleon, or any chameleon at that. Good basking temps are about 82-85 degrees Fahrenheit. Ambient air temperature should be about 70-73. You want about a 10-15 degree temperature difference so he can thermoregulate properly.

-Michael Ryan

also on occasions when he does go down to the bottom he is eating his bedding which is like a coconut soil. Shall i remove it? What is the best thing to feed him and how often

Your Chameleon - yeman vield chameloen, male, 6 month old. had it for 1 week
Handling - had it out a few time but doesnt like it
Feeding - locus? since ive had it he has eaten about 7? using oranges, apples and calcum dust
Watering - spray a few times a day, recently he opening his mouth when i spray near him so ive directed it to his mouth
Fecal Description - colour are as in my profile pic. goes light when he is sleeping and dark when he awake

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 4x2x2 wooden viv with two sets of glass doors and four small circle vents at the back
Lighting - heat lamp reflector and uv not sure on type 12 hours a day
Temperature - just under 90 heat and humidity about 60ish both of these drop 10-15 at night
Plants - no live just plastic
Placement - on the floor in a corner
Location - im in england united kingdom manchester

Is it a good idea to put chopped fruit and veg in a bowl on the botton of viv?

You should put the cage on a desk or something, since they like being higher up. What brand/types of lights do you use? You can try to put the chopped veggies at the bottom of the cage he may eat it, just make sure to cut them into small slivers.

So he has only eated about 7 locusts in a week? That is not enough food. Is that all you are offering him? What about crickets, superworms, hornworms, silkworms, for variety?. Maybe he doesnt like locusts that much. At 6 months my cham was eating about 15 1/4 inch crickets a day. You should be usinig 3 supplements. Calcium w/o d3 everyday, Calcium w/d3 twice a month, and a multi vitamin twice a month or so. You really need to find out the strength of your lighting. It is obviously too hot at 90, which would probably make your basking around 100 then. When we ask for fecal description that means his poop- It should be brown/black with a white tip. If the tip is orange then you chameleon needs more water for hydration. As far as the veggies, I would not put it on the bottom, he could poop in there and with the water dripping in there it can sit and cause bacteria. I would suspend up higher near a branch where he can get it.

Variety!

ive put locos in his viv at first he ate a few but doesnt seem to bother with them now

Chams like Variety! Offer various feeders... and gutload your feeders whenever possible... crickets are easy to gut load... but atleast with the Veild they will eat veggies so they get things in that way as well.

But If you can try to also post some pics of your set up... so we can take a look. But I would definatley get rid of any subtrate.

Back
Top Bottom