Is it just me or does her leg look swollen

I won't overtake this thread, but THANK YOU! I Hope so too. He's 12 and nearing the end of the average life span for his breed, but acts ENTIRELY healthy. I'm hoping whatever it is, I've caught it early. It's almost certainly some sort of kidney issue, but what kind, not sure. Also high blood pressure and/or diabetes could be causes too. Or a couple genetic issues for his particular breed (Wheaten terrier) or cancer, or or or... Sooo difficult to know. We'll see what happens. I'm praying it's a manageable outcome, and not a sad one. <3
I wish you luck!!!! I know the feeling of an elderly dog facing a few troubles! We say our bulldog who is almost 12 has 9 lives cause she just keeps powering through all these different ailments/illnesses.

Alrighty here’s a updated

She has low calcium, thinking due to her previous MBD and current receptiveness

High phosphorus

Doctor wants her humidity up to 60% (I’m reallllllly struggling with that so any tip would be great)

To treat low calcium
Calcium gluconate 1 time a day. Prescription getting filled

Change uv light every 6 months - just a reminder but probably a good time to change it soon

Recheck calcium level in 3-6 months

Note: I was not the one who directly took the vets call, but this should be everything relayed back to me

High phosphorus

Doctor wants her humidity up to 60% (I’m reallllllly struggling with that so any tip would be great)

To treat low calcium

Change uv light every 6 months - just a reminder but probably a good time to change it soon

Note: I was not the one who directly took the vets call, but this should be everything relayed back to me
What would upping the humidity do out of curiosity

High phosphorus

To treat low calcium

60% seems rather high for a veiled... I wonder if the intent is for her to stay hydrated with the extra supplements she's being given. I personally would NOT push humidity that high, but make sure she's got extra access to water and keep an eye on her urates. I'd rather her drink more from a dripper or get a good fogging overnight than too much humidity in the daytime and risk an RI... But that's just me.

Alright small update. Finally got her calcium medication in, although it says to give her every day… for like 3 months. I’ll be clarifying things with my vet. I was wondering if this is normal for calcium medication. Has anyone had this experience? I’m probably going to wait to start this until Nachito lays and stuff.

so I gave Nachito her new medication today. Calcium since her levels are low and I talked with her vet about reducing stress and her laying soon. I gave her the meds this afternoon due her not showing any signs of laying, her appetite was huge today and she is still basking. I plan on staying on an afternoon schedule so I can make sure she isn’t exhibiting any laying behaviors before I give her the meds. I am so anxious about somehow causing her to become egg bound 😭. I also decided to weigh her since she was going to be partially handled anyway. She is 104.8 grams!

so I gave Nachito her new medication today. Calcium since her levels are low and I talked with her vet about reducing stress and her laying soon. I gave her the meds this afternoon due her not showing any signs of laying, her appetite was huge today and she is still basking. I plan on staying on an afternoon schedule so I can make sure she isn’t exhibiting any laying behaviors before I give her the meds. I am so anxious about somehow causing her to become egg bound 😭. I also decided to weigh her since she was going to be partially handled anyway. She is 104.8 grams!
Wow, isn’t that another 10% weight gain, couldn’t find the quick her last weight. If it’s needed, it’s needed, Nachito is a survivor, she’ll pull herself through this and lay her eggs 🙏🏻. Hopefully the waiting game ends soon, this is just stressful period.

And this my friend is why I hesitate to get a girl! 😂 you and nachito got this! Keeping my prayers up for you both. 🤞she lays soon and your stress level can come down. It has to be torture for you both. ❤️ sometimes I think she just enjoys seeing you run and stress around like a chicken with your head cut off. Silly girl! Jk

It’s been a little while since we have had an update on Nachito leg.The original legs (front right, more pink) looks like the swelling had gone down but now her other front leg (front left, more black) looks to be swollen 😕. Also here’s a photo of her being super angry
IMG_2998.jpeg

IMG_2997.jpeg
IMG_3002.jpeg
IMG_3009.jpeg

Man that last pic should be another example of being able to point out where their airway is. That's a perfect picture of it.

As far as the swelling, goodness... What on earth can be causing it? I know you've taken amazing care of her since you got her... Perhaps this is remnants of how far she had to recover in the past? Is she babying that leg too?

Man that last pic should be another example of being able to point out where their airway is. That's a perfect picture of it.

As far as the swelling, goodness... What on earth can be causing it? I know you've taken amazing care of her since you got her... Perhaps this is remnants of how far she had to recover in the past? Is she babying that leg too?
Her grip seems to be fine and I haven’t seen her hanging it except once. I’ll probably bring it up again at her vet appointment in a few months. This swelling is such a nuisance.

Back
Top Bottom