Im bloody confused between reddit and the differing opinions!

Through trial and error, ultimately, you will decide what works best for your Cham. The internet is a vast resource of information which requires you to use the information that works for you. I view the information as baseline information. This leaves room for owners to individualize the care they provide.

Ex: Basking temp for a Panther recommended is 80-85 degrees. I have a baby who can screen climb. His basking temp is 78 at the branch and 81 at the top screen of the enclosure. This is to prevent burns. Im sure he would like 80-85 but in his best interest its 78-81 degrees.

It's very dry in my city. At night, I run a cool mist humidifier in the Cham room. This helps me get low nighttime temps so I can run a fogger to create high humidity.

I encourage you to read all of the information available. Use the baseline information to make the adjustments that work for your Cham. As time goes by you will become more confident with your information sources.

Im so freaking confused. I'm new to this community and want to have a healthy Cham. I've been doing so much research for my Cham but keep just getting more and more confused.
Neptune the chameleon says reptivite with d3 twice a month is good (aslong as im using calcium without d3 on the other days). Well reddit says I will be poisoning my Cham with phosphorous using reptivite.

Chameleon academy (who has been studying this topic for 40+ years) says a 7inch distance between the closest branch and the t5 6% uvb is good distance, while reddit says I will be burning the chameleons eyes and should instead have 15 inch distance.

Don't get me started on the water cup.

I don't want to end up with a dead Cham. But if I'm not a scientist myself, who do I trust?

I’m in the same boat as you. I’m a big Reddit lurker and naturally went to r/chameleons for advice. I even paid one of the main mods to do a husbandry review for my animals so that I could be sure I had it right. My partner and I were side-eyeing a lot when we kept noticing sick chameleon after sick chameleon being posted on there with no real solutions. Despite getting the 100% from the mod who reviewed our setup, our boys were occasionally screen-walking and my Veiled seemed to want to come out a lot. I had just listened to the UVB episode on Chameleon Academy and on a hunch I bought the Solarmeter 6.5R. I measured the UVB at my basking perches and it was reading 00.2 UVI at best. This is with the T8 5.0 reptisun they insist on using because the T5 is too “powerful/dangerous.” Needless to say, I had a mild crisis and went to get replacement T8 5.0 bulbs in case it was just a case of old bulbs. The brand new ones had the exact same readings. I checked the solarmeter outside and had a proper reading so I knew that was working. Time to get the T5 HO with Arcadia 6% bulb. I went and got those, set them up and adjusted their perches by bringing them up to where Strand recommended (2-3” above the former spots). Bam, 3.0 average UVI on their basking spots. Totally mortified. I was going to post on there about it to get some actual discussion going so others could watch out for this but I knew they would delete it or ban me. It’s some real Orwellian shit over there. 😓

It’s sad to think that because solarmeters are expensive, the average newcomer likely doesn’t buy one and would never know why their lizard kiddos are hurting despite following all of the subreddit’s “expert” advice.

I’m in the same boat as you. I’m a big Reddit lurker and naturally went to r/chameleons for advice. I even paid one of the main mods to do a husbandry review for my animals so that I could be sure I had it right. My partner and I were side-eyeing a lot when we kept noticing sick chameleon after sick chameleon being posted on there with no real solutions. Despite getting the 100% from the mod who reviewed our setup, our boys were occasionally screen-walking and my Veiled seemed to want to come out a lot. I had just listened to the UVB episode on Chameleon Academy and on a hunch I bought the Solarmeter 6.5R. I measured the UVB at my basking perches and it was reading 00.2 UVI at best. This is with the T8 5.0 reptisun they insist on using because the T5 is too “powerful/dangerous.” Needless to say, I had a mild crisis and went to get replacement T8 5.0 bulbs in case it was just a case of old bulbs. The brand new ones had the exact same readings. I checked the solarmeter outside and had a proper reading so I knew that was working. Time to get the T5 HO with Arcadia 6% bulb. I went and got those, set them up and adjusted their perches by bringing them up to where Strand recommended (2-3” above the former spots). Bam, 3.0 average UVI on their basking spots. Totally mortified. I was going to post on there about it to get some actual discussion going so others could watch out for this but I knew they would delete it or ban me. It’s some real Orwellian shit over there. 😓

It’s sad to think that because solarmeters are expensive, the average newcomer likely doesn’t buy one and would never know why their lizard kiddos are hurting despite following all of the subreddit’s “expert” advice.
DUDE... holy shit. They told me my t5 6% would burn my guys eyes. I had already spent all my money on my setup (Like 1+grand, not including Cham) and was struggling with food but literally freaked out thinking the light was going to burn his eyes to ashes because of what the mod said. I began researching and trying to find one fast desperately. Then decided to just ask bill strand before spending the last of my money. And he said it was a good distance.
Insane mods.
This might be a little too far of me but based on how they talk, I was expecting the mods to have INSANE beautiful setups that genuinely looked like a slice of the forest. I asked for a picture of their setup, and laughed out loud. It was the most lazy setup ever. They have like a 15" distance from the t5 at the back of the enclosure, but seem to not understand geometry because the ENTIRE top 15+'' is completely empty of the enclosure. Like do they not realize, even if they are using the 15" rule, the opposite side to where the t5 is, is much more then 15" away. The enclosure looked completely bare, and this is because of their other new "discovery". They believe enclosures shouldn't have a lot of foliage because "in the wild the insides of trees are bare".. I truly believe ALL their techniques are just to save money and time. The kid had like 4 branches.
There reasoning for the t5 strength is "just look at it with your own eyes, its harsh to look at"..... Do they not realize THAT THE ACTUAL SUN IS HARSH TO LOOK AT YET CHAMS EVERYWHERE IN NATURE BASK UNDER IT.

Today I saw someone new post how they convinced their entire pet store to now use the Reddits care for Chams. I dmd them and just advised they try more then just the cup of hydration. And they refused to even think about EVEN MISTING. So now the pet store and anyone buying Chams from there will be told this advice. I told them how Chams in the wild don't drink like that, and even though he may drink from the glass, its because he's EXTREMELY THIRTSY. And they said "well in captivity all they need is glass"..... Before I could send them a link bill strand podcast they blocked me :D

I think one thing you will find here is that we have no problems telling people about the good options for info. Because we used them too! For example I came into the hobby only having the forum and Bill Strand's info @DeremensisBlue. You could say these two places were my mentors and what I relied on being brand new. This is why I feel capable of helping others. I learned from the best...

Unfortunately the culture of most of these places like reddit and some of the FB cham groups is "we are the only source of info and everyone else is wrong." The sad thing is this creates an environment where no one is evolving or learning updated accurate methods. And the biproduct is a lot of people ending up with sick and dying chams. This hobby grows a lot as people expand on the knowledge and resources we have available to us. Sharing knowledge and being kind is something that I feel is really necessary.

For us regulars here in the forum our number 1 goal is to make sure you all have a good experience with not only keeping chameleons but within this forum. I do not feel like any question is stupid. I also have no problem repeating myself if it means that member gets the information they need. I hand type everything to make it individual to that specific post. I do not copy and paste even when it comes to lighting or supplement questions. Why.... Because I want people to feel cared for here. And know we take the time to understand their situation and apply the info that will help them grow.

I think one thing you will find here is that we have no problems telling people about the good options for info. Because we used them too! For example I came into the hobby only having the forum and Bill Strand's info @DeremensisBlue. You could say these two places were my mentors and what I relied on being brand new. This is why I feel capable of helping others. I learned from the best...

Unfortunately the culture of most of these places like reddit and some of the FB cham groups is "we are the only source of info and everyone else is wrong." The sad thing is this creates an environment where no one is evolving or learning updated accurate methods. And the biproduct is a lot of people ending up with sick and dying chams. This hobby grows a lot as people expand on the knowledge and resources we have available to us. Sharing knowledge and being kind is something that I feel is really necessary.

For us regulars here in the forum our number 1 goal is to make sure you all have a good experience with not only keeping chameleons but within this forum. I do not feel like any question is stupid. I also have no problem repeating myself if it means that member gets the information they need. I hand type everything to make it individual to that specific post. I do not copy and paste even when it comes to lighting or supplement questions. Why.... Because I want people to feel cared for here. And know we take the time to understand their situation and apply the info that will help them grow.
You are amazing Becca and we are all so lucky to have you on here ❤️❤️❤️

I love this forum and I am always pro Chameleon forum. This is my home and where I give my time. But I also have no issue telling people what places are great. I am a member of Bill's FB group as well although I very rarely ever post there. But I do not need to either they have a dedicated team of knowledgeable moderators to help their new members. His group also does not bad mouth the forum. I have met some amazing admins there. They are friends of mine and in this community this is how we build and grow through our connections.

IMO you find the place that makes you feel like you can ask all the questions you want. You lean on that and resources they give you. In the forum we have a few places we always give out. And then we are here to answer questions and make people feel included.

I love this forum and I am always pro Chameleon forum. This is my home and where I give my time. But I also have no issue telling people what places are great. I am a member of Bill's FB group as well although I very rarely ever post there. But I do not need to either they have a dedicated team of knowledgeable moderators to help their new members. His group also does not bad mouth the forum. I have met some amazing admins there. They are friends of mine and in this community this is how we build and grow through our connections.

IMO you find the place that makes you feel like you can ask all the questions you want. You lean on that and resources they give you. In the forum we have a few places we always give out. And then we are here to answer questions and make people feel included.
The Chameleon Forums is the longest consistently running chameleon community. With the rest of social media actively against the sales of animals, this is the best place to congregate for the community. And this isn't just a thought bouncing around in here. The admins of The Chameleon Enthusiasts Facebook group are openly supportive of the forums and consider this a partnership. (A little sleuthing will put screen names to real names. Although @SteveH didn't make his hard!) If someone comes to me at the Chameleon Academy and wants to have more of a community conversation I send them here. This is where Neptune the Chameleon (@Gingero ) got her start and is active. So, @lurker9090 , if you are looking for a place to call home that is not an echo chamber, but has a wide variety of community members supporting it, you have found the right place. Anytime you get humans together there will be conflict and drama, but you'll find much less here. Hang out, lurk, or ask a couple questions. The Chameleon Forums is a good place to be.

This community is awesome and second only to Chameleon academy for accurate information. On the other hand, the Reddit cham community is horrible, just horrible. It would be like getting all your news from twitter.

Back
Top Bottom