Housing Jackson's chameleons

FalyBreeder

So, I've been going through old threads as well as some Google stuff and finding contradictory opinions & views as to whether or not to house Jackson's together. Not meaning more than 1 male but maybe a male and a female or 2. I've raised them before but housed them separately due to not wanting to take chances of putting undo stress on the females with a male around 24/7 but wanted others to weigh in on the subject with personal experience and possibly pictures if available.

i personally have not kept jacksons, however according to the jacksons chameleon caresheet complied by experienced owners they should not be housed together. this is a paragraph directly from the caresheet:

Cage Size:
In general when housing chameleons, bigger is better. Jackson’s chameleons are highly territorial and easily stressed by the presence of other chameleons, even of their own species. Two or more Jackson’s chameleons should never be kept in the same cage. Cages should be furnished with many plants and climbing branches to provide opportunities for exercise and plenty of places for hiding. Substrate (mulch, soil, etc.) should not be used in chameleon cages. See Chameleon Enclosures for more information.

here is the link to the jacksons caresheet also! :)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

Hmmm... Kinda what I've been thinking. I always like to play it safe and air on the side of caution in housing and caring for our chams. I know people who have & do colonize them with success but I personally have never done so.

I heard a tragic story from an inexperienced pet store housing a male and female together in the same cage. Apparently they were trying to achieve dominance in the cage and the female kept pulling on the males horns. After a couple days the employee went back to the cage to feed them and the male killed the female. Ill leave out the gruesome details. It made me pretty upset.

Back
Top Bottom