He's Black

Crayola

So my veiled chameleon is 3 months and he is eating fine but the thing is he is black alot lately! What am i suppose to do. is it a bad thing? Alittle help please.

post a picture.

also, some questions for you

how large is the enclosure, and is it screen

what is the basking temperature, and what is the bottom temperature

what do you feed it, if crickets, what size, and gutload. and how much and how often

he doesnt eat ne thing beside baby crickets sometimes but mostly he eats flies! its a glass enclosure!

This is the information posted prior on a different thread...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, male, and 2 months old. I've had him almost 2 weeks on tuesday.
Handling - 3 or 4 times a day
Feeding - I tryed feeding him micro mealworms and pinhead crickets but he wont eat either just flies.
Supplements - I use Calcium+D3, and i use it once a week.
Watering - I use a dripper and I use a spray bottle to mist him about 3 times a day. No i do not see my chameleon drinking.
Fecal Description - I have bark at the bottom of the cage so i dont see any at all, and no my chameleon has not been tested for that.
History - Had it shipped from a pet store in Florida
Cage Info:Eco Terra
Cage Type - I have a 18 by 18 by 24 glass cage
Lighting -I have a ultraviolet light source and a heat lamp! I have the regular light on during the day and the heat lamp on at night occaionally but its usually off
Temperature - My temperature has been normal about 75 or 80. The lowest temp at night ive seen is about 70. I have a temperature and humidity gauge.
Humidity - My humidity range is about 85. I keep it that way but misting his home 2 to 3 times a day. I have a humidity gauge.
Plants - I have Manzanita and fake vines and leafs.
Placement - It is located in a bedroom, Its about 4 feet off the ground.
Location - Northern California
Current Problem - My chameleon will only eat flies. is it a bad thing?

Cray, could you confirm that this is all still correct? If anything needs to be changed could you please let us know?

i don't see any problems with that, if that info is correct besides that i'm not sure about the supplementing schedule, and there is no fecal description. and an idea for when you clean your cage, you might want to lose the bark and replace it with paper towels.

and please post a picture of at least your cham. that's essential

this is him right now
cray1.jpg

that's really odd. he looks skinny, and the darkness could be a reflection of that

But on a side note, when i bought my female veiled, there were other chams in the enclosure with her, and one or 2 of them were that color. i do not know, sorry

They turn black for two reasons. stress or cold.
Try getting your basking temp higher to around 85.

They turn black for two reasons. stress or cold.
Try getting your basking temp higher to around 85.

Just one thing, a sign of heavy stress with not so many things going on that would stress a baby or adult cham for that matter could be indicative of a parasite infestation. So, few questions...

Where did you purchase your cham? How often do you handle the little one now? Is there heavy traffic around the terrarium? Placement of the terrarium (bedroom, hallway, kitchen, closet... you get the idea)?

How new is the baby to your home and have you taken them to the vet or grabbed a fecal?

I applaud you on the fact that you are showing interest in your chams well being. Hopefully it isn't anything serious :)

Back
Top Bottom