Health update and medication.

Ezekiel went in yesterday for an overnight emergency stay. He had a long day of X rays and blood work, but we have found out that he was on the verge of death from a kidney issue. He wasn’t able to use the bathroom and still isn’t.

We didn’t think he’d survive last night, but with good vets (and a very expensive vet bill…) he made it through with little issues

Vets prescribed us three medications. One for dehydration which he’ll take for the next two weeks, one he’ll take till next week in replacement of live feed and one more that he’ll take for the rest of his life.

Anyone else have any experiences with their chameleons and medication? Anything I should expect?

I attached a little picture of Ezekiel’s ride home from the vet.

Attachments

• F63F1424-E9B9-46AA-BB03-0956ABD5FCB5.jpeg
    F63F1424-E9B9-46AA-BB03-0956ABD5FCB5.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 31
Ezekiel went in yesterday for an overnight emergency stay. He had a long day of X rays and blood work, but we have found out that he was on the verge of death from a kidney issue. He wasn’t able to use the bathroom and still isn’t.

We didn’t think he’d survive last night, but with good vets (and a very expensive vet bill…) he made it through with little issues

Vets prescribed us three medications. One for dehydration which he’ll take for the next two weeks, one he’ll take till next week in replacement of live feed and one more that he’ll take for the rest of his life.

Anyone else have any experiences with their chameleons and medication? Anything I should expect?

I attached a little picture of Ezekiel’s ride home from the vet.
Poor guy. I hope things improve for you both soon 💚

Hi. Poor guy. :( What medications were prescribed? Assuming you mean he isn’t able to poo, so what is being done about that?
He was prescribed Slippery elm and oxbow carnivore care for two weeks to increase his diet and hydration to see if he can poo by Wednesday. He was also prescribed allopurinol which he will take for life.

Hmmmm allopurinol is normally used for gout and to reduce uric acid levels and kidney stones. But your saying it was kidney issues. But was he showing signs of renal failure? Which can also be linked to incorrect husbandry and hydration methods. Guessing the slippery elm is to aid in digestion. Careful with the carnivore care. You would not want to use this for more than the 2 weeks. It has high levels of fat soluble vitamins in it.

I would do an overall husbandry review and see if we can spot anything that stands out in your husbandry. So that you can correct it.

Hmmmm allopurinol is normally used for gout and to reduce uric acid levels and kidney stones. But your saying it was kidney issues. But was he showing signs of renal failure? Which can also be linked to incorrect husbandry and hydration methods. Guessing the slippery elm is to aid in digestion. Careful with the carnivore care. You would not want to use this for more than the 2 weeks. It has high levels of fat soluble vitamins in it.

I would do an overall husbandry review and see if we can spot anything that stands out in your husbandry. So that you can correct it.
I am only using allopurinol for life. Everything else is for two weeks until he starts to poo.

Vets have not been able to determine the exact cause but they suspect it was a genetic issue or something he had when he was growing.

I hope your little man has a full recovery. My vets have used allopurinol for kidney problems. He one said my Amos would have to be on it for life but his kidneys improved and he got to come off of it. I hope it works the same for your chameleon.
That’s a relief to hear that your chameleon has recovered. I hope mine does the same. He’s been on the side of his cage screen climbing with his eyes closed all day, just chilling in one spot

Back
Top Bottom