Habitat pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you .i posted just to show habitats and introduce my self kinda went from their with many questions that was asked taking post too somewhere different lol
I'm not looking to compete with anyone I build these for anyone who wants more for less and what and how they want it .

Here is a few more pic of our tops and bottoms and tray . As you see we don't use screen frame as a sole top of bottom ours has a solid PVC top and bottom and is machined out leaving a more ridged upper and lower support frame. .
Floors on larger habitats are 3/8" thick allowing to support more heavy plants etc
Drip ledges we also can do as you see here we did for a customer so water on walls drained back into nest box .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 146
Here is a few more pic of our tops and bottoms and tray . As you see we don't use screen frame as a sole top of bottom ours has a solid PVC top and bottom and is machined out leaving a more ridged upper and lower support frame. .
Floors on larger habitats are 3/8" thick allowing to support more heavy plants etc
Drip ledges we also can do as you see here we did for a customer so water on walls drained back into nest box .

Got you that is really nice :). And of course you are trying to compete you are a business lol that is the name of the game :).

To the others I sure will actually do that.

Since Dragon Strand was brought up and compared I’ll chime in here. Competition is generally good and the community benefits from the attention that brings. Success breeds competition. And it is good for the community to have different approaches to the core concepts. When I started Dragon Strand I, myself, took the basic ideas that were in the market and added my own take to it. I built on what went before and introduced to the chameleon market:

-PVC walls for visual isolation and mist retention.

-Door handles for all doors (how in the world did it take that long for this to happen?)

-Dragon Ledges to allow horizontal branching and mounting of potted plants.

-Complete rust proof components. (Beware of zinc plated – it is rust resistant, but not rust proof)

-Rack compatible cages

-clear PVC walls

So, although it looks like these guys copied my breeder line (which, yeah, they did), it is natural that any cage manufacturer popping up would take this foundation and try to improve on it. That is competition and it is healthy.

That said, here are some items to take under consideration

1) framing materials. A common approach to why a new cage design is touted to be better is to attack the poor standard aluminum framing that has been used in the majority of chameleon cages for over two decades. There are materials that are stronger including aluminum tubing which is the strategy of at least three others that have considered entering into this market. (You never knew how cut-throat chameleon caging is, did you?) The reason why I stuck with the standard aluminum framing is because it did the job perfectly. Sure, you can make it stronger. You can lace it with titanium and park a VW bug on top. But the frame just needs to hold the cage structure and a lighting fixture on top. What is the use case that requires it to be stronger? We don’t have a problem with the cages breaking in half or not holding up. In fact, with the Dragon Ledges I send the weight of potted plants to the frame. And it holds up just fine. There is no problem to be solved with using stronger, heavier, or more expensive material. Engineering innovation comes from getting the same benefit from less material, not doing the same job with more. Doing the same job differently is not a feature unless there is an additional benefit attached. I am going to stick with the standard aluminum framing because it does the job beautifully and since I am trying to make the frame disappear as much as possible I really do not want to make a bulkier frame unless there is a substantial real benefit attached. Stronger and thicker is not a benefit unless there is a problem to be solved. Not that what these guys is doing is bad – it has its applications. Maybe people would like the look of a lot of white cages? Once again, I won’t knock what they are doing. But more material to do the same job and a more noticeable cage frame is not where I am going with my caging direction. “Thicker and stronger” needs to allow a desirable use case that is not presently possible for it to be a benefit. But it is a clean looking cage line. The demographic that likes that look has now found their product. So, other materials are cool. Just don’t knock the standard framing until you have a true tangible benefit to show for it.

2) Dragon Ledges. The Dragon Ledges are something I invented to solve a specific problem and is finalizing the patent process. It already has patent protection during the process. Think twice about copying this product. That is way this works in the US. When you go through the effort and cost of innovating and solving a problem, the US government allows protection of that effort. Building on what I brought to the market is natural, but at least have some respect for something original that originated from the heart of the chameleon community. Of course, I did not go through the expense of getting a patent to appeal to anyone’s integrity. Legally defending a patent is part of making sure it is recognized. There is a difference between building on what has been done before and copying someone else’s patented invention.

3) Welcome to the community. But, again, show some respect and do it right. Get a sponsorship if you want to stick around and talk about your retail products. That is the rule for this forum. We all had to do it.

Since Dragon Strand was brought up and compared I’ll chime in here. Competition is generally good and the community benefits from the attention that brings. Success breeds competition. And it is good for the community to have different approaches to the core concepts. When I started Dragon Strand I, myself, took the basic ideas that were in the market and added my own take to it. I built on what went before and introduced to the chameleon market:

-PVC walls for visual isolation and mist retention.

-Door handles for all doors (how in the world did it take that long for this to happen?)

-Dragon Ledges to allow horizontal branching and mounting of potted plants.

-Complete rust proof components. (Beware of zinc plated – it is rust resistant, but not rust proof)

-Rack compatible cages

-clear PVC walls

So, although it looks like these guys copied my breeder line (which, yeah, they did), it is natural that any cage manufacturer popping up would take this foundation and try to improve on it. That is competition and it is healthy.

That said, here are some items to take under consideration

1) framing materials. A common approach to why a new cage design is touted to be better is to attack the poor standard aluminum framing that has been used in the majority of chameleon cages for over two decades. There are materials that are stronger including aluminum tubing which is the strategy of at least three others that have considered entering into this market. (You never knew how cut-throat chameleon caging is, did you?) The reason why I stuck with the standard aluminum framing is because it did the job perfectly. Sure, you can make it stronger. You can lace it with titanium and park a VW bug on top. But the frame just needs to hold the cage structure and a lighting fixture on top. What is the use case that requires it to be stronger? We don’t have a problem with the cages breaking in half or not holding up. In fact, with the Dragon Ledges I send the weight of potted plants to the frame. And it holds up just fine. There is no problem to be solved with using stronger, heavier, or more expensive material. Engineering innovation comes from getting the same benefit from less material, not doing the same job with more. Doing the same job differently is not a feature unless there is an additional benefit attached. I am going to stick with the standard aluminum framing because it does the job beautifully and since I am trying to make the frame disappear as much as possible I really do not want to make a bulkier frame unless there is a substantial real benefit attached. Stronger and thicker is not a benefit unless there is a problem to be solved. Not that what these guys is doing is bad – it has its applications. Maybe people would like the look of a lot of white cages? Once again, I won’t knock what they are doing. But more material to do the same job and a more noticeable cage frame is not where I am going with my caging direction. “Thicker and stronger” needs to allow a desirable use case that is not presently possible for it to be a benefit. But it is a clean looking cage line. The demographic that likes that look has now found their product. So, other materials are cool. Just don’t knock the standard framing until you have a true tangible benefit to show for it.

2) Dragon Ledges. The Dragon Ledges are something I invented to solve a specific problem and is finalizing the patent process. It already has patent protection during the process. Think twice about copying this product. That is way this works in the US. When you go through the effort and cost of innovating and solving a problem, the US government allows protection of that effort. Building on what I brought to the market is natural, but at least have some respect for something original that originated from the heart of the chameleon community. Of course, I did not go through the expense of getting a patent to appeal to anyone’s integrity. Legally defending a patent is part of making sure it is recognized. There is a difference between building on what has been done before and copying someone else’s patented invention.

3) Welcome to the community. But, again, show some respect and do it right. Get a sponsorship if you want to stick around and talk about your retail products. That is the rule for this forum. We all had to do it.

I agree 100% with the sponsor ship :).

And I hope bill isnt mad at me for asking questions about the competition :(.

I agree 100% with the sponsor ship :).

And I hope bill isnt mad at me for asking questions about the competition :(.
Of course not! Ask away.

And you can ask me too. Every aspect of the cage designs I have has a reason for being that way. That is the benefit of both of the keeper and breeder series designs coming out of actual field use. You learn things that can't just be copied.

Of course not! Ask away.

And you can ask me too. Every aspect of the cage designs I have has a reason for being that way. That is the benefit of both of the keeper and breeder series designs coming out of actual field use. You learn things that can't just be copied.

I have asked you a few questions before :), I dont much need to ask you though. As like you said your cages are tried and true, I can see the tons and tons of breeders and keepers endorsing your cages. Plus I listen to your podcast and see you around the community :).

Since you said ask though I will. 1 thing really got my attention with his cages, the 22 inch depth. So I get the space constraints ect, but is the 17 inch depth of the large breeder not a little small for a panther? Why not a 22x22x45 or even 22x20x45? I know you have the extra large breeder but that wont fit a rack, a deeper large would fit a 24 deep rack.

Also, another one :). So for the nursery cages, why the 15.75, do you notice that the babys actually use all that space? I have seen a few people that breed panthers in the Exoterra small 8x8x12s or even the 8x8x8s. So why not go with a 12 high so you can fit 32 per rack?

Again on the Nurserys, do you use mesh that wont let FFs out? Ever though of plexi on the front doors and the bottom door with a fine mesh to keep FFs in and give ventilation while keeping high humidity for babies?

I have asked you a few questions before :), I dont much need to ask you though. As like you said your cages are tried and true, I can see the tons and tons of breeders and keepers endorsing your cages. Plus I listen to your podcast and see you around the community :).

Since you said ask though I will. 1 thing really got my attention with his cages, the 22 inch depth. So I get the space constraints ect, but is the 17 inch depth of the large breeder not a little small for a panther? Why not a 22x22x45 or even 22x20x45? I know you have the extra large breeder but that wont fit a rack, a deeper large would fit a 24 deep rack.

Also, another one :). So for the nursery cages, why the 15.75, do you notice that the babys actually use all that space? I have seen a few people that breed panthers in the Exoterra small 8x8x12s or even the 8x8x8s. So why not go with a 12 high so you can fit 32 per rack?

Again on the Nurserys, do you use mesh that wont let FFs out? Ever though of plexi on the front doors and the bottom door with a fine mesh to keep FFs in and give ventilation while keeping high humidity for babies?
I'll cut and paste your questions into another thread and we can go into it there!

Thanks for chiming in DS you have a great product and the ledge innovation was a great idea for the community in how we keep our chameleons props to you on that.
People asked questions and I gave my opinion was all. Not trying to down anyone. I only posted to show our habitats and questions took it to comparing not intended into a who's better match cause that's not what it's about every products is good in its own ways.

I've been building my own habitats for a very long time using nearly all materials known to man and ways of constructing them for my habitats and by far not trying to copy or anything just offering a different approach as that's what's it's about and how we progress in innovation to better keeping. I've used the solid wall approach a long time ago for my chameleons ( I'll see if I can find the pic ) as I was never happy with all screen cages and fighting the heat and humidity requirements for them not to mention the stress . In the process i have built cages similar to yours offered now but I wasn't 100% happy so I kept building different ways .I build differently for a reason I feel I want to see that worked for me many years and I liked all around.I really don't mind who has what or how I'm not in it for competing just do it for the love of keeping reptiles and offer my approach to public.
Thanks

To add , I didn't come on here to take away from anyone if you read my original post message just showing what I do and I don't do mass production by far no intention too . I build for those who want them or something custom to their needs and wants and like what I offer . I was directed to here by a member that felt I should show them here . Sponsoring is def a option I will look into yes and thank you.

I think they look great. I would have mine a bit less "shiny" don't know how to describe it lol. and a green/brown color or like foliage pattern.

I think they look great. I would have mine a bit less "shiny" don't know how to describe it lol. and a green/brown color or like foliage pattern.
Not sure what you mean leedragon but I can do them in black also if someone wants and you can always have a silk foliage done and stick onto inside walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom