Gout?

Oh so like X-rays, blood tests, and like swabbing his mouth or something shouldn't be needed? I really hope you're right cause all of that sounds expensive and stressful to him.
They may swab the mouth... They may suggest blood work. Blood work would show if there is an infection in the body. xray seems a little over the top. But he is exhibiting symptoms of an RI so in this case it would be better to treat to stop it before progression.

They may swab the mouth... They may suggest blood work. Blood work would show if there is an infection in the body. xray seems a little over the top. But he is exhibiting symptoms of an RI so in this case it would be better to treat to stop it before progression.
Would blood work show anything that swabbing wouldn't? Don't want to do blood work unless it's really necessary.

I would think blood work wouldn't directly show an infection and would only show markers that suggest one. Also, should I push for a test if they try and just prescribe a general antibiotic?

Last edited:
my girl got injectable antibiotics once due to a abscess. They told me to do it in her front legs alternating every other time as to not have one leg being super sore.
As for placement, that I don’t remember

my girl got injectable antibiotics once due to a abscess. They told me to do it in her front legs alternating every other time as to not have one leg being super sore.
As for placement, that I don’t remember
The vet that did the first dose for me did it in his front leg kinda. Idk what it would be considered on a chameleon. Not like the actual leg that comes out from the body but closer to the top of his body where his leg attaches.

5E031DF6-4587-49B5-99E5-DD5F7D0FF4A2.png

Found this pic in another thread. This is pretty much what they showed me. Maybe a bit lower though.

No improvements today but that's probably to be expected. How long should the antibiotics take to work? At what point should I start worrying and go back to the vet?

Chameleons lack the loop of Henle in the kidneys…so if you inject the antibiotics in the lower “half” of the body or in the back legs, the antibiotic does no good…so it just ends up going out of the system instead of circulating.

Chameleons lack the loop of Henle in the kidneys…so if you inject the antibiotics in the lower “half” of the body or in the back legs, the antibiotic does no good…so it just ends up going out of the system instead of circulating.
Yeah it was in the front legs. Also I think it might be working cause he only gaped in the morning.

Today he hasn't gone up to bask. He's just slowly crawling around the bottom of his cage and shedding tiny amounts.
Probably not feeling well. You could add a more substantial plant to the cage so that when it mists it will hold more moisture for him to access.

Probably not feeling well. You could add a more substantial plant to the cage so that when it mists it will hold more moisture for him to access.
Got a pothos. I probably need to get a fecal done as well. Just got unlucky and didn't have a sample to bring when I went.

Back
Top Bottom