Going outdoors...warm weather

mczoo

Avid Member
so the warm weather is finally come to good old ohio.

i have been taking my chameleons cages and all outside every few days for a few hours of sun

I have 2 female jacksons and one male montium.

how often can i do this?

When does the trip become worse than the benefits of our ole friend the sun?

Thanks once again,

Clueless in Cleveland

Dear Clueless in Cleveland,
You can see clearly now the rain is gone, your chams can see all obstacles in their way...

Kidding aside, montiums/jacksons require cooler temperatures and more humidity (you already know). Having said that, 85F should be the maximum air temperature that montium/jacksons should be exposed to. Temperatures should be between 75-80.

I don't have any experience with montane species but a forum member *cough*Trace*cough* more knowledgeable than me should be able to comment on sunning montanes. My guess is, they should be closely watched for heating weather and must be removed from sun if air temperature gets near 86, just to be safe, even 80. They require more humidity (50~80), so misting heavily is a must. Half an hour to one hour per day, should do good.

Close observance is a must with these species. Please use well planted cages for them to be able to escape the heat of the sun.

Last edited:
Last edited by VerteX; Today at 09:08 PM. Reason: Made "Trace" bigger

HA! :D

Got a big, shade producing tree in your yard? If so, put your posse outside right now and bring them on November 1st. Seriously. There is nothing better for chameleons - and lizards in general - than being in the natural sunlight. WC bugs are also delicious!

Like Vertex mentioned, excessive heat can be a detrimental or lethal to montane species, but if they are in the shade all the time and provided with plenty water, they should be fine. They need not be in direct sunlight to receive the benefits of the natural UV either. Cold or cold nights are also not issue. I've had my guys outside overnights when it's dropped to the single digits or teens. (Of course I'm talking Celsius here). As long as they can warm up the next day, then I don't worry about moving them inside. Only when the temperature fluctuation is minimal do mine come in for the winter.

Also think about how safe your yard is... you wouldn't want your chameleons stolen while you are away from the house.

Happy chamming!
t

thanks guys.

my yard has plenty of shade but i am a little afraid to leave complete chameleon packages (with misters, plants and cage accessories to the temptation of others). plus got a lot of wild animals (possums, racoons, deer and our dog) running around. Maybe time to build a cham safe enclosure in the yard next to the swingset:rolleyes:

Sean

Back
Top Bottom