Furcifer Campani - Jeweled Chameleon - Photographs

Magnificent pictures, Nick! The ones where they are sitting on your finger are my favorite. Really puts them in perspective, soooo tiny. Keep 'em coming!

There is one of our males. I would consider this a normal resting color for a male campani. Their body tends to be a darker chocolate brown with their lateral lines fading from a light yellow to a pearl white on their underside. This male in particular doesn't show any other colors but some of my other males maintain a purple hue on the top of their head and eyes.

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Canvas-Chameleons-3.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Canvas-Chameleons-2.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Canvas-Chameleons-1.jpg

Male's Color Display

I was finally able to get a nice string of photos that show off how the males will color up for the females. Well, I guess I should say how they lose all their colors for the females. With most species, the males will take on vibrant color patterns when in full display for a female but with the F. campani they actually turn black as the night sky and tiny white spots like stars begin to shine right before your eyes. It is truly something amazing to witness.

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-1.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-2.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-3.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-4.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-5.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-6.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-7jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-8.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-9.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-10.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Male-Jeweled-Chameleon-Canvas-Chameleons-11.jpg

I was finally able to get a nice string of photos that show off how the males will color up for the females. Well, I guess I should say how they lose all their colors for the females. With most species, the males will take on vibrant color patterns when in full display for a female but with the F. campani they actually turn black as the night sky and tiny white spots like stars begin to shine right before your eyes. It is truly something amazing to witness.

Nick, it really is an amazing thing to see in person. You did a great job capturing the progression. Thanks for sharing again!

Ah Nick you sure know how to deliver wonderfully clear pictures. You and I may no longer be friends, if you allow me to buy some campani. i am trying to stay focused, but it is really hard.:(

Ah Nick you sure know how to deliver wonderfully clear pictures. You and I may no longer be friends, if you allow me to buy some campani. i am trying to stay focused, but it is really hard.:(

Hahaha, you have plenty of time before we have babies so stay focused for now and then you can slip later on :)

Updates

I haven't had time for too many updates lately but I was finally able to get some pictures together.

First and foremost, our original female, now named "Miss America" who started everything off is still continuing to do very well. She has grown a great deal in the past two months and is finally ready to upgrade to a normal size cage. She continues to eat fruit flies as well as aphids but also has no problem eating 1/4" crickets now. On April 11th she will be 4 months old.

Furcifer-Campani-Hatchling-Canvas-Chameleons-8.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Hatchling-Canvas-Chameleons-9.jpg

Clutch #2

Starting last month our second clutch of eggs started to sweat. This clutch started off originally with 12 eggs in total with only 1 molding over in the first few weeks. So I had very high hopes for a bunch of little ones running around.

Unfortunately those dreams did not come true as 9 of the 11 eggs never ended up hatching. Some piped the egg but still were not strong enough to come out where others couldn't even pip the egg and I had to careful cut them just to find fully developed but lifeless babies.

Furcifer-Campani-Hatchling-Canvas-Chameleons-1.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Hatchling-Canvas-Chameleons-2.jpg

But when here is death, there is also life. Luckily, two were determined enough to bust out of their eggs and are currently drinking and eat for about 10 days now.

One immediate observation is the color difference between the two. The two colors of these hatchlings are that of the adult colors. There is one female in this clutch but there is now one male (I believe) that is actually brown just like the adult males. He is typically a solid brown but will lighten up when I disturb him to take pictures so I haven't been able to get one of his dark brown to date. The difference is very obvious and I still believe that even though they are hatchlings their colors mimic that of the adults based off the sex.

Furcifer-Campani-Hatchling-Canvas-Chameleons-5.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Hatchling-Canvas-Chameleons-6.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Hatchling-Canvas-Chameleons-3.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Hatchling-Canvas-Chameleons-10.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Hatchling-Canvas-Chameleons-4.jpg

Furcifer-Campani-Hatchling-Canvas-Chameleons-7.jpg

Thanks for the updated pictures Nick. Miss America is looking fantastic. You have done an awesome job with her.

You just keep at it. Everything starts slow, and you are starting to build. I am not ready for mine yet, so take your time. But keep them coming.:D:D:D

Thanks for the updated pictures Nick. Miss America is looking fantastic. You have done an awesome job with her.

Thank you Jann! I hope she continues and is able to have little ones herself one day :)

Really great. To bad they all didn't make it but those two are beauties.

Thanks, I'm bummed too that more didn't make it but I am very happy to have what looks to be a male and female hanging in there.

They look great! Thanks for the update. Great to read Miss America is doing good.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thanks Jeremy!

You just keep at it. Everything starts slow, and you are starting to build. I am not ready for mine yet, so take your time. But keep them coming.:D:D:D

Hahaha, thanks Laurie. Your always so supportive and I can't thank you enough.

Awesome update Nick. Congrats on the two new ones. I'm sure once you get these F1's to mate you will have plenty of healthy young F2 campani.

Back
Top Bottom