freakin crickets!

thatoneguy

Established Member
so ive learned the hard way that crickets bite not only chams but MY fingers too!! its happened twice in the past 2 weeks :mad: . any1 else get bit?

Crickets stink, they bite, they're loud, and nearly impossible to catch. Too bad they are so delicious and nutritious!

Can't get to sleep due to cricket chirping in my room... I've been nibbled on, and I have had some get loose in my room... A total pain in the *$% but the chams sure seem to love them... Ugh.

haha. that they do. i usually get medium sizes before they get their wings (wich we all know is what makes their chirping noise) and as they get them i feed those first. and is they all decide to grow wings at the same time then i clip them off!! payback. lol

I'm forever walking around the house at night with a flip flop and a flashlight searching for the cricket responsible for the annoying chirping!LOL I started putting out insect sticky paper. The one I use is by CatchMaster. They are small cardboard cutouts with a sticky substance that attracts and traps crickets and other small insects. Not much of a smell at all. They are awesome! You can find them in the bug spray section anywhere. Super cheap too. They usually have 4 to a package. Just put 1 or 2 out here and there and it is amazing how they catch all the crickets! As far as the chirping...try getting younger crickets instead of adults. They don't start chirping till they reach full maturity. To avoid getting bitten, I put empty toilet paper or paper towel tubes into the cricket bin and shake those into my feeding cups. I try to get any uneaten crickets out of my cham's cage before lights out. If you cant, then put a small piece of fruit in the top of the cage. I attach it with a thumb tack or put it into their cup feeder cup.Hope this helps!:)

so ive learned the hard way that crickets bite not only chams but MY fingers too!! its happened twice in the past 2 weeks :mad: . any1 else get bit?

I had no idea they bite. I pick them up all the time with my fingers and hands. I try to normally them by one of there legs but sometimes I have to hand cup them if they get loose. Never been bite though unless I just dont feel it.

the little crickets dont scare me, but i got a dozen full size ones to experiment with breeding last time i got them >.> these suckers are huge! im terrified of them even though ive never been bit...after they breed i might just end up feeding them to my koi :rolleyes: and i keep them in a bin in my room and they are soo loud! so i now keep the bin in my closet :p

Like mamaD said, get some catchmaster stickey traps and place them along the walls, specifically one on each side of the door and a couple more around the room(along the wall). Crickets and other insects will follow walls to get wherever, doing this will pick up the stargglers

I keep mine in a wooden and heated insulated box outside, similar to the bins they are kept in at pet stores, just with insulation and pipe warmer to make a radiator. Suprisingly few die offs, I keep it under a lean-to so it stays dry. I'll try to do a drawing of what I did. I built it a few years ago when I first started as the rents got tired of crickets in the house. Though I don't mind the noise too much. Kinda peaceful like white noise.

I keep mine in a wooden and heated insulated box outside, similar to the bins they are kept in at pet stores, just with insulation and pipe warmer to make a radiator. Suprisingly few die offs, I keep it under a lean-to so it stays dry. I'll try to do a drawing of what I did. I built it a few years ago when I first started as the rents got tired of crickets in the house. Though I don't mind the noise too much. Kinda peaceful like white noise.

one cricket outsidee is peaceful lol 200 crix in your room not as peaceful more ike irritating. if you could take a pic of that outside box it would be great

I'm forever walking around the house at night with a flip flop and a flashlight searching for the cricket responsible for the annoying chirping!LOL I started putting out insect sticky paper. The one I use is by CatchMaster. They are small cardboard cutouts with a sticky substance that attracts and traps crickets and other small insects. Not much of a smell at all. They are awesome! You can find them in the bug spray section anywhere. Super cheap too. They usually have 4 to a package. Just put 1 or 2 out here and there and it is amazing how they catch all the crickets! As far as the chirping...try getting younger crickets instead of adults. They don't start chirping till they reach full maturity. To avoid getting bitten, I put empty toilet paper or paper towel tubes into the cricket bin and shake those into my feeding cups. I try to get any uneaten crickets out of my cham's cage before lights out. If you cant, then put a small piece of fruit in the top of the cage. I attach it with a thumb tack or put it into their cup feeder cup.Hope this helps!:)

i have the toilet paper roll in there so they can hide and what not. but i have to grab them with my hand to dust them and pinch their legs off so they dont jump out of the cup. ive only gotten bit twice first time just kinda pinched a bit. second time broke my skin and drew a bit of blood. i usually hold them by the back legs but i gotta catch them first and thats when i got bit :D

i buy 1000 at a time, as I type this I hear them , I like th esound it relaxes me. Never been bitten. But they do make me mad like when the jump out of your hand and go to the one place you do not want them to go, like that hole in the wall !

They are pretty easy to catch, just get a plastic cup and shake about 5 into the cup from the tube then put your hand over the cup. And just reach in and slide them up the side of the cup. I then hold them with my thumb on their mouth apply a small amount of pressure and my index finger on top. pinch the hoppers off at the saw then hold it by the butt with my fingers on the left and right side. Very easy to do and if they get loose in the cage they are hard to find or grab.

Back
Top Bottom