Found this in my garden....

ajacobson

I wasn't even aware we had these in Vegas! The little boogers were eating my tomatoes and peppers!

Don't worry, I won't use them as food for two reasons: a) they were eating my tomato plants, which I heard is bad for the cham, and b) they are BIGGER than my cham!
worm2.jpg

Is that a really big hornworm? Or do they just look similar? I ordered some hornworms that were small and then grew to be the size of cats before I finally had to just take them outside! They were much too big for the chams to eat.

Is that a really big hornworm? Or do they just look similar? I ordered some hornworms that were small and then grew to be the size of cats before I finally had to just take them outside! They were much too big for the chams to eat.
I really hope you didn't release them. It's illegal to do so.

...Looking below as I hit reply I notice Kara beat me to it. :eek:

Good to know. It was just my backyard, and I don't think they made it. What do you do with bugs your cham won't eat? I've ordered several types that she won't touch, and now I'm the proud pet owner of roaches and all sorts of icky things...they are filling my house! My cham is picky and I guess I need to find an easier source to get food? I have no idea what to do with all these roaches, especially. UGH

I think it's a hornworm, it's got a little hook thing out the back end of it. They are GIGANTIC. I'd never seen one here before, but I guess my garden attracted them. I have at least 3 in there. They scare me, they have these crazy little fangs. lol:eek:

Good to know. It was just my backyard, and I don't think they made it. What do you do with bugs your cham won't eat? I've ordered several types that she won't touch, and now I'm the proud pet owner of roaches and all sorts of icky things...they are filling my house! My cham is picky and I guess I need to find an easier source to get food? I have no idea what to do with all these roaches, especially. UGH

I'll buy them off you for a decent price!

How about the price of "free" to anyone wanting to take them out of my fridge? LOL Let's see...butter, ketchup, silkworms, mealworms, butterworms.... I won't go near these things in nature, but now I'm keeping them next to my breakfast. I love the irony.

They LOOK like fangs lol. Maybe you are right about the legs, but they are so sharp and pointy!

I use a 60mm f/2.8. I love it, it's great for close ups and portraits.

It definitely is great. I need that exact set up. Time to start figuring out costs... what did you pay for the camera and lens, if you don't mind me asking?

I think I paid $700 for the camera (It's been a couple years), and $300-$400 on the lens. If you don't mind used though, you can get deals on CraigsList and sometimes some good refurb deals on Adorama and B&H Photo.

Let me know if you have questions. I've been doing photography as a side thing for a while. :)

I think I paid $700 for the camera (It's been a couple years), and $300-$400 on the lens. If you don't mind used though, you can get deals on CraigsList and sometimes some good refurb deals on Adorama and B&H Photo.

Let me know if you have questions. I've been doing photography as a side thing for a while. :)

can take pics of my chameleon...that would be cool ;);)

That's not too bad! I will have to start saving up for sure. :p Thank you. :)

Just about every year I walk out and find 1 or 2 of our plants down to the stems and always find a few nice fat hornworms hang'n out somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom