Field Labor

PrettyInInk87

So, 4 days ago I started working for a farm labor company and am working in cleaning the tomato fields. We go into the fields with a hoe and take out the weeds we find. SUCH a hard job on the body... My arms, legs, shoulders, and neck are SORE. :( BUT I actually enjoy jobs like this. I know that after a few more days i'll get use to being in the sun all day and use to weeding the fields, I have done this sort of job before. :) Anyone else have this type of job?

hell no!
my body is too old and broken up to do such hard work :)
but kudos to you!, shows you are young, healthy and able bodied to do back breaking work
enjoy the sunshine!

i have i work in a mill somthimes 115-120 degrees in the summer and it is horror on the body at first but after a while i started to just forget about the soarness and the heat but i must say it got me in shape for firefighting =]

hell no!
my body is too old and broken up to do such hard work :)
but kudos to you!, shows you are young, healthy and able bodied to do back breaking work
enjoy the sunshine!

Thank you! :D Lol, I sure will enjoy the sunshine. The first day we started it was in the high 90's and there was one field worker reported dead. :( It was really hot and 3 other people in our group started getting sick. Most of the people there ask what i'm doing there but just as everyone else, I need to work to take care of my family. Surprisingly there are many much older men and women who work with me but i'm the only american citizen there. Sad sometimes how they have no other choice though. Sorry, just a small rant. :)

i have i work in a mill somthimes 115-120 degrees in the summer and it is horror on the body at first but after a while i started to just forget about the soarness and the heat but i must say it got me in shape for firefighting =]

Oh I bet! It's horrible sometimes but as I said before, you have to do what you have to do.

Congrats Gabby! I start at my new job today after school. :) Grocery Store! Sure is different from IHOP and Burger King! :rolleyes:

Gabby I don't know how you do it. Even when I was a kid that would have been wayyyyy past anything I would do. But then i am a redhead with fair skin and don't do well in the sun.
You go for it and I will cheer you on, how does that sound?:)

Congrats Gabby! I start at my new job today after school. :) Grocery Store! Sure is different from IHOP and Burger King! :rolleyes:

I would take a grocery store over IHOP or Burger King anytime. ;) Congratulations!

Gabby I don't know how you do it. Even when I was a kid that would have been wayyyyy past anything I would do. But then i am a redhead with fair skin and don't do well in the sun.
You go for it and I will cheer you on, how does that sound?:)

Thank you. ;) That sounds GREAT! I am a fairly light complected hispanic and I also have light brown hair and guess what else? Freckles, lol! We just make sure and cover ourselves up with long sleeve shirts, very light hooded sweatshirts, and hats. I had the day off today but back there tomorrow, hope the weather is as great as it was yesterday and today. :D

I'm a freshman in highschool and I work on dairy farms and do work around the farm I live on. I detassle corn in the summer (that sucks if you've ever done it)

Keep yours eyes peeled for snakes. Tomato fields should be full of them. Goodluck!!!

Oh trust me we are all doing that, lol! Good thing is that the plants are not HUGE just yet so would be able to spot one (I think). Thank you!

I'm a freshman in highschool and I work on dairy farms and do work around the farm I live on. I detassle corn in the summer (that sucks if you've ever done it)

I have never done it and don't know exactly what it is. We have LOTS of corn fields here (Corcoran is the farming capital of California) but have never worked in them.

I'm in iowa. And detassling is walking up and down the rows of corn for about 8 hours picking the tassle thing off all the corn in the 100 degree heat lol. A buncha people do it, pays like $700 or so for two weeks so its worth it

I'm in iowa. And detassling is walking up and down the rows of corn for about 8 hours picking the tassle thing off all the corn in the 100 degree heat lol. A buncha people do it, pays like $700 or so for two weeks so its worth it

Tassle thing like the hairs? I bet it sucks being surrounded in tall corn stalks... We get paid 8 an hour 10 hours a day. I'm bad at math so don't know how much that totals. Oh and 6 days a week...

Tassle thing like the hairs? I bet it sucks being surrounded in tall corn stalks... We get paid 8 an hour 10 hours a day. I'm bad at math so don't know how much that totals. Oh and 6 days a week...

So 8x10 would be 80 a day. Ya, the worst thing is the corn cuts your hands up and you get cornrash all over your arms. Detassling is actually comin up here in june sooo that means after I get paid its time to buy a setup and either a jacksons or panther cham :)

So 8x10 would be 80 a day. Ya, the worst thing is the corn cuts your hands up and you get cornrash all over your arms. Detassling is actually comin up here in june sooo that means after I get paid its time to buy a setup and either a jacksons or panther cham :)

Lol, I knew 8x10 was 80 I meant the other stuff like weekly and biweekly. :D

I can only imagine the "corn rash", lol! Ouch. I've also worked during the winter in the Almond and Pistachio fields. We'd walk around with LONG bamboo sticks, look for left over Almonds or Pistachios, and knock them off of the trees. After harvest season not all of the nuts fall off so it was our job to make sure everything was off. Now that job was touch because you were looking up ALL day and at the same time raising and lowering bamboo sticks twice as long as you, lol!

We don't even want to talk about this. When i was an undergrad at Iowa State, I detassled corn ONCE!!!!! The money doesn't exist to get me to ever do that again - never, ever. I did it up by Tama/Toledo it was awful.

Hell to the no! Kudos to you. I don't even think I have callus on my hands. I have a desk job. lol.

Hell to the no! Kudos to you. I don't even think I have callus on my hands. I have a desk job. lol.

Really? Wow, i'd go nuts if I had a desk job. They had me fill out a BUNCH of papers for all of the workers and it was SO hard for me to do it. I made so many mistakes and it was just too much... I swear I wanted to pull all of my hair out and just toss the pile up papers up in the air. I'm not stupid but something that requires too much thinking will just fry my brain. ;)

I have worked up in Alaska on the fishing boats in the Bering Sea since 1995. The boat I'm second in command on now is 170 ft. When I was in my 20's working on Deck we worked 120hrs a week in all conditions, no days off, no sick days, only more overtime for offloads for atleast 3 months at a time. Now, When I work, it's only 2 month stretches at a time and my work load is only about 12 hrs a day in a dry seat, instructing and organizing the work and lots of paperwork. I mostly set and haul our fishing gear. HArd work like that and what you do~ you may not realize it at the time~ it wears your body out in ways you only notice in the future. When I was 30 working on Deck, I felt like I was 50! I'd rather use my brain than brawn any day! Though, I wouldn't take a second of it back!

Haven’t worked in the hot sun (unless Basic Training counts, July at Ft Jackson in 2001!) I have however froze half to death in full bibs, Ski attire, and much more when I worked at Purdue in GA I worked on the Filet line and froze my Arse off on graveyard shift 15degrees in there if you were lucky!!!

So, 4 days ago I started working for a farm labor company and am working in cleaning the tomato fields. We go into the fields with a hoe and take out the weeds we find. SUCH a hard job on the body... My arms, legs, shoulders, and neck are SORE. :( BUT I actually enjoy jobs like this. I know that after a few more days i'll get use to being in the sun all day and use to weeding the fields, I have done this sort of job before. :) Anyone else have this type of job?

I do some weeding, mowing on my front/backyard but that is about it. You are tough!

Back
Top Bottom