Dying hornworms

hagmegsis

I bought about 60 hornworms from mulberry farms about 2 weeks ago. They were healthy; and I was so pleased with my purchase. I just got home from a week in the hospital. I had someone caring for my pets while I was gone. When I returned I discovered most of my hornworms to be dead. Slowly over the last few hours more are dying.

The person caring for my pets says they followed my instructions. As far as I can see, they really did. So, I'm confused as to why they're dying. They are not pupating. They are definitly dead. Some grew far too large for my guy to eat; while others were still small. Any idea what might be wrong? They are all in the containers provided by Mulberry farms. The containers are upside down and propped up as the instructions said to do.

If they are not cleaned out daily they will not have enough airflow and the moisture buildup and mold will do them in. I generally put a pencil under the containers so I can get more airflow going. Also, if it is too warm and the air is blocked off by the poop you can get die offs.

Highly suggest cleaning out all the poop from the mesh lids. The mesh can get clogged up easily from the poop and that will reduce airflow which leads to everything else going down hill. Decadancin is right on.

Highly suggest cleaning out all the poop from the mesh lids. The mesh can get clogged up easily from the poop and that will reduce airflow which leads to everything else going down hill. Decadancin is right on.
I cleaned the poop out earlier today. Some are still dying. I'm going to give it time.

Back
Top Bottom