Hornworms too big?

Sherbertsmysunshine

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all! So a few days ago I got some hornworms with my other bugs for Sherbert. I was gone all weekend and yesterday I found that this hornworm, and two others were this size. I flipped the container upside down before I left. But I think their to big to give him. Anyone know what to do with them? (Also, I didn't know they bite)

Attachments

• IMG_20231010_104003.jpg
    IMG_20231010_104003.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 38
Hi all! So a few days ago I got some hornworms with my other bugs for Sherbert. I was gone all weekend and yesterday I found that this hornworm, and two others were this size. I flipped the container upside down before I left. But I think their to big to give him. Anyone know what to do with them? (Also, I didn't know they bite)
That is a UNIT of a hornworm lol I would personally refrain from feeding one that large, depending on your chameleons size.

I have seen some work on big hornworms and it seems like it can be okay, but I've also seen people saying their chameleons have choked on them. I would stick to the "no wider than between the eyes" guideline. Maybe someone more experienced can give you a better answer.

Yeah too big for your cham for my comfort level. Not only do they bite but the bigger they are the thicker their skin is. So they become harder to pierce through. Bites become more common the larger they are as well. So that is more risk for mouth rot if bitten. Then you have the choking on them or vomiting them back up risk.

Put an ad on craigslist giving them away. Someone with a bearded dragon would take them.

Yeah too big for your cham for my comfort level. Not only do they bite but the bigger they are the thicker their skin is. So they become harder to pierce through. Bites become more common the larger they are as well. So that is more risk for mouth rot if bitten. Then you have the choking on them or vomiting them back up risk.

Put an ad on craigslist giving them away. Someone with a bearded dragon would take them.
My friend has a bearded dragon. I'll see if she wants them, if not I'll do that. Thank you so much.

Or the chams with the unique ability to not chew, at it comes out the other end as a "worm skin bag" with nothing in the middle...

Back
Top Bottom