direct sun

Damicofam6

Established Member
I recently saw a few things about keeping your cage in front of a window and how the windows filter the sun. Is it still ok to keep a cage directly in front of a window? Of course not right up against it but just in front of it. I would assume as long as the window isn't getting too hot right?

I recently saw a few things about keeping your cage in front of a window and how the windows filter the sun. Is it still ok to keep a cage directly in front of a window? Of course not right up against it but just in front of it. I would assume as long as the window isn't getting too hot right?

Too hot wouldn't be the problem other than lack of hydration. Your only problem would be too cold. Hope this helps, good luck with everything! (y)

Too hot wouldn't be the problem other than lack of hydration. Your only problem would be too cold. Hope this helps, good luck with everything! (y)
I'm new to this also but mine is buy a window and so far so good just keep an eye on the temp.

If your cage is mostly glass then you need to watch the temperature. If the cage is screen that is less of an issue but I would make sure the chameleon can get out of the sun if it wants too.

If your cage is mostly glass then you need to watch the temperature. If the cage is screen that is less of an issue but I would make sure the chameleon can get out of the sun if it wants too.
Yes she can it's only the top half that may get some sun. She climbs all thought her enclosure constantly.

As Bobcochran pointed out, your chameleon won't be getting any UVB through the glass, but they will enjoy the full spectrum light. Just watch the temperatures closely.

A good thing to do is put half of their cage or plant or whatever you are using in the sun and the other half in the shade- that way they can cool off. I leave mine out during the day in the nice hot florida heat but they have a nice spot for shade and lots of water available

Don't forget that the sun angle through your window isn't constant. Make sure your tank doesn't end up sitting in full sun at mid day when it is most likely to overheat, and check the exposure as the seasons change. What might be great for winter could cook your cham in summer.

Back
Top Bottom