Chameleon safety when painting room

Hey all!

I will be painting the room my Cham lives in and am thinking about what to do with him to keep him safe. Which option do you think is best?

- put his enclosure in the laundry room (not being painted, but close to the room/hallway being painted. No window)
- buy a smaller temporary enclosure and put it in the garage (not being painted and templates are moderate in there so not too hot right now. Also more airflow)

The pros of the laundry room is that he could stay in his existing enclosure, but cons are closer to paint and no window/air flow.

The pros of garage are further from paint and more airflow, but cons are have to move him to a temporary enclosure which could be stressful.

Thank you!

For home work. "when can i put the chameleon into its new cage i painted". There was several threads on how long the outgassing takes based on the paint used. Unfortunately outdoor paint is the best and most robust, but also has the highest amount of outgassing. For all i know the indoor paint you are using is baby safe after two days.

There is also a paint you can buy that is a low VOC. This one is typically sold for babies rooms. I used it when I had to fix the window sill in my room that Beman is in. I did keep the window open and put him in his temp carrier for the vet but when I was done painting there was absolutely no smell left and I was able to put him back in his cage without issue.

There is also a paint you can buy that is a low VOC. This one is typically sold for babies rooms. I used it when I had to fix the window sill in my room that Beman is in. I did keep the window open and put him in his temp carrier for the vet but when I was done painting there was absolutely no smell left and I was able to put him back in his cage without issue.
I do believe the paint we are using is low VOC but I’ll check on that

Back
Top Bottom