Cup feeding tricks?

Dominomyles

Any little tricks to get my new cham to eat dubia roaches or crickets out of a cup? He'll snatch a super worm from my hand in like 5 seconds but won't eat roaches or crickets from a cup.

I have had my best luck placing the feed cup under the basking branch to get started, then you can move it later- but to get them started, I use that spot, they hang out there, so the food is "in their face" so to speak ~ :) also, make sure your cup will let water out- so your bug do not drowned

the worm is probably wiggling around creating a stimuli for the cham to eat. An idea I seen was someone used a small pop bottle cut a side of it out leaving an inch or so from the bottom than attaching a screen to the back side. leaving enough space on the sides of the screen bugs hace trouble climbing out. they also glue fake plants all on the outside of it and put holes so it drains out. i more or less did same thing with a plastic cup have some escapes with mine but thats ok

I'm more so meaning the cup in my hand so he associates my hand with good things. But those are great ideas for when I leave food in the enclosure that I will definitely do, I love that bottle idea!

I found gently shaking the cup to make the Dubia move around like crazy helps get our chams attention! Or with some of them I will show them whats in the cup and then put it in their cage and walk away so they don't feel nervous in anyway from me standing and holding it.. Then once they get use to it after a few times I was able to hold the cup with no issues.

How do you shake with cup without making the cham nervous? I was trying that but I felt everytime he got interested in the roaches and locked in on them he would look at me and then run away.
Call me a weenie, but I am not touching the roaches or letting them lose in the cage. I've fed a lot of weird things to reptiles, and had a lot of things get lose in my presence but roaches just give me the creeps.

With roaches, I have better luck sticking them on the side wall of the cage where my chams can see them.
When I have them in a cup, they tend to stop moving, they freeze!
So my chams don't even see them.

Back
Top Bottom