crickets--wax worms

mardenq

just got my chameleon yesterday so first feed today,i dusted crickets and wax worms and put them in a little tub then held in front of him,he ate the crickets but not the worms,do they normaly like wax worms ?,also hes about 6 months old so how many and how often should I try him,ill be getting locusts next time as they only had large ones in and wasn't sure if they would be to big

just got my chameleon yesterday so first feed today,i dusted crickets and wax worms and put them in a little tub then held in front of him,he ate the crickets but not the worms,do they normaly like wax worms ?,also hes about 6 months old so how many and how often should I try him,ill be getting locusts next time as they only had large ones in and wasn't sure if they would be to big
I have tried wax worms a couple times with my 11 1/2 month old Panther. He dont like them. Well he hasnt eaten any yet. He dont eat too many crickets either, Im working on that. He loves superworms and horn worms. Hope this helps. Id say offer every once in a whle different thing. I dont buy many feeders atonce cause who knows what he is in the mood for.

They may just not move enough to attract his attention. If you hold one, he might try it. Think of waxworms like candy - a sometimes treat.

Take the wax worm and heat it up a bit under a warm light. it will start to wiggle a lot and get your cham's attention. If that doesn't work, you can take it and wiggle it between two fingers a bit to give him the illusion that it is wiggling. Do this a few times and I'd bet money your cham will take it. Once he figures out how much he likes them, he will eat them.

Just don't feed a lot of wax worms. A few a week max is plenty. They are VERY high in fat - it's like a bowl of ice cream to him pretty much. Not good in large portions, and not good to use day after day

I keep wax worms for my cham, and I buy 50 at a time. I put about 35-40 into in a ventilated glass jar and put a 20 watt bulb on the jar, which makes my jar about 80-85 degrees which will make them pupate into moths. They use up a lot of their fat storage turning into a moth, and are not as fatty for your cham then. So as moths, you can feed quite a few more to your cham. The rest of the 10-15, I use as treats - because they are fatty, I don't feed them often, 1-2 a week. And my cham loves them, probably cuz he doesn't get them that often.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom