chewing on branch

junglefries

Avid Member
I just caught my male Nosy Be chewing on a aquarium branch decoration. It is a large fake branch I use at the bottom of the cage for my chams or crickets to use as a stepping stone. It makes it easier for everyone to climb onto branches or vines. The first 12" at cage bottom I leave empty, as to simulate a tree top. I'm curious if anyone has seen their cham chewing. I mean he was gnawing on the thing. He is a cham who has lost his ability or willingness to use his tongue for catching food [injury received during shipping]. He just cup feeds or bites whatever he is chasing. He is healthy and plump. Gets all the supplements. Just noticed 9/15/13 @ 3:45pm.

My cham actually chews on branches. He loves to gnaw on nubs of hibiscus or the orange branches I put in his cage.

Mine was gnawing on the ficus tree yesterday. That's the first time I've noticed him doing it so I'm sure when I'm not watching he does it more.

My panther does it like clockwork everyday, right after a bowel movement. Right around 11am. He likes to gnaw on the thick woody part of his ficus, doesn't bother with the soft leafy green parts of the plants.

chewing

thanx for you'lls help. He is younger, hatched 2/13. I have seen my veils eat the hibiscus, like it is bacon. But out of 4 ambilobe and 2 nosy be, this was my first. I heard him across the room while watching a football game. I missed last Sunday's football, so it was the first game of the year for me. There is no way I was paying enough attention to notice him. I mean it was LOUD! He is an oddball though, to say the least. If you show him camera, he jets to the backside of the cage. Everyone else just flares up or smiles and poses. glad I don't need to freak out.

update

I heard him from another room doing this today. I thought it was someone tapping on my back door. Here is my dilemma: He had stopped using his tongue, but as of yesterday had started using it again. Is the chewing helping or may it inhibit. I know a lot of you are saying it is normal. That is ok. I am more worried that he may lose use of his tongue again. Opinions? Where is gerbilinmyshorts when you need him? If anyone talks to him today send him this way please. I will consider it a personal favor.

Back
Top Bottom