Chameleon Passed Randomly

chak

Hi, I don't know if this should go here but I've had my Jackson's chameleon for nearly three years and today I randomly found him passed away in his enclosure. I could tell by the smell. But his colour looked fine, if I didn't smell anything I wouldn't of guessed or thought.

His name was Barnaby and he was the sweetest... I got him from a reptile expo and he seemed very healthy and had no issues with anything from what I could see. I made sure to do a lot of research before and after I got him, and I improved his enclosure over time. He had a lot of live plants, but a few fake ones for him to climb on. I rarely handled him, because he didn't seem to enjoy it, but I would get him out to clean his enclosure. He ate mostly crickets but would have hornworms as treats. We'd dust them with repticalcium, and we'd dust every other day. He was misted every hour for about 10 minutes. His droppings looked fine and he was tested for parasites when we first got him.
He was in a screen cage, I forgot the dimensions. It's very humid and hot in my room, about 85 degrees F at the moment, and then there was his heat lamp.. is it possible he got too hot?

About two weeks ago he started getting darker and struggled with getting around, but I just assumed he forgot he could go on the screen so I added more branches which helped. Then he was fine, back to his normal colour. There was no indication he was ill, but I know they tend to hide that. I am in Ohio and there was a very sudden temperature change (from low 60s to high 80s, although I don't think it affected my room that much so I don't think that's related). I'm just so surprised that this happened. I haven't processed it yet, but I miss looking over and seeing him bask or walking around. He had a nightly routine and would be asleep by 9 PM and I always found it funny. I just miss him. I guess writing this has finally made me realize he's gone. I had played around with the idea of getting another chameleon but now that he's passed I'm not too sure. He was so beautiful. I can't think of anything else to add but if there's any more information needed, please ask.

I guess I'm just looking for some idea as to why he's gone. I thought I was doing things right.

I’m so sorry about Barnaby. I have no advice on Jackson’s though, I’m not an expert and I currently have panthers. Hopefully someone experienced can help out. Thank you for sharing his story with us. It’s so hard to lose our little ones. ☹️

I'm sorry about your chameleon. it's hard losing them, lots of us have experienced it. I don't know much about Jackon's either, but I know you cared about him verry much. hoping you recover and find another friend to give you joy.

Thank you all. I'm just hoping he went peacefully, without pain, and hopefully just in his sleep. He meant a lot to me. I got him on my birthday and I remember the first time I saw him, he was a feisty little guy. Had such tiny horns too. It was so amazing to watch him grow. I have more pictures that better show off his beautiful colours, but here he was when he climbed up on my hair.

1693872935957.png

Thank you all. I'm just hoping he went peacefully, without pain, and hopefully just in his sleep. He meant a lot to me. I got him on my birthday and I remember the first time I saw him, he was a feisty little guy. Had such tiny horns too. It was so amazing to watch him grow. I have more pictures that better show off his beautiful colours, but here he was when he climbed up on my hair.

View attachment 342945
I’m so sorry for your loss. Very handsome boy. I hope you are able to heal.

This response is 100% judgment free, he looks like a beautiful chameleon and we are all on a journey of learning. Lord knows I have been through my own and encountered losses. Your statements/questions are in quotes and my responses are in bold.

“He was misted every hour for about 10 minutes”

That’s A LOT of misting. Misting in the morning and again before lights go out should be sufficient. You can put a dripper bottle on top of the cage for daytime drinking and a fogger in for extra humidity/hydration at night.

“His droppings looked fine and he was tested for parasites when we first got him.”

I would have a fecal test done once a year or as soon as any unusual behavior begins. It’s fairly cheap.

“He was in a screen cage, I forgot the dimensions.”

He should have been in a 2’ x 2’ x 4’ enclosure at minimum.

“It's very humid and hot in my room, about 85 degrees F at the moment, and then there was his heat lamp.. is it possible he got too hot?”

Yes, if the ambient temp in your room is 85 degrees and he’s under a heat lamp, heat likely killed him. If you’re not checking the basking temp with a wired heat probe daily, it can get too hot for him. And Jackson’s prefer cooler temps.

From Bill Strand of Chameleon Academy,

“Jackson’s Chameleons require mild temperatures and can start to show heat stress when exposed to temperatures in the 80s. And if they do not get a 10 to 20 degree F nighttime drop they gradually decline in health. This is thought to be due to exhaustion from not having a restful sleep.”

This response is 100% judgment free, he looks like a beautiful chameleon and we are all on a journey of learning. Lord knows I have been through my own and encountered losses. Your statements/questions are in quotes and my responses are in bold.

“He was misted every hour for about 10 minutes”

That’s A LOT of misting. Misting in the morning and again before lights go out should be sufficient. You can put a dripper bottle on top of the cage for daytime drinking and a fogger in for extra humidity/hydration at night.

“His droppings looked fine and he was tested for parasites when we first got him.”

I would have a fecal test done once a year or as soon as any unusual behavior begins. It’s fairly cheap.

“He was in a screen cage, I forgot the dimensions.”

He should have been in a 2’ x 2’ x 4’ enclosure at minimum.

“It's very humid and hot in my room, about 85 degrees F at the moment, and then there was his heat lamp.. is it possible he got too hot?”

Yes, if the ambient temp in your room is 85 degrees and he’s under a heat lamp, heat likely killed him. If you’re not checking the basking temp with a wired heat probe daily, it can get too hot for him. And Jackson’s prefer cooler temps.
Thank you for the information. I should've been more careful and considered the heat. I had fans in the room, so I guess I assumed it was okay, which was silly of me since he had a heat lamp. The misting was a fear of dehydration on my part. He was in a pretty big enclosure and I lost him easily...

Again, thank you for this. I'll keep it all in mind. I should've been more careful, I feel horrible if his death was a part of any negligence. I just really hope he didn't suffer at all.

Here are some more charts from Chameleon Academy. I highly suggest you watch Bill Strand’s videos on Jackson’s care.

Attachments

• A503F822-6B85-4205-9D5F-B3E6CE54D969.jpeg
    A503F822-6B85-4205-9D5F-B3E6CE54D969.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 42
  • D244F69C-F3A8-4786-81AD-728DEB35ED30.jpeg
    D244F69C-F3A8-4786-81AD-728DEB35ED30.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 43
Here are some more charts from Chameleon Academy. I highly suggest you watch Bill Strand’s videos on Jackson’s care.
Thank you again for the information. It seems like heat would've been the cause, then. As much as I really wanted closure this breaks my heart, knowing that it was easily avoidable and a mistake on my part. I hate myself for being so stupid to overlook that. He even had a thermometer. Do you know what happens to them when they die from heat? I really hate the thought he suffered.

Thank you again for the information. It seems like heat would've been the cause, then. As much as I really wanted closure this breaks my heart, knowing that it was easily avoidable and a mistake on my part. I hate myself for being so stupid to overlook that. He even had a thermometer. Do you know what happens to them when they die from heat? I really hate the thought he suffered.
According to chameleon academy, he likely died of exhaustion

I’m so sorry for your loss! Yes it was most likely the heat. I to am a Jackson’s keeper and they are very sensitive to heat.

I’m so very sorry that you lost your beautiful boy. I pray you are able to find peace in your heart. Getting all of the environmental parameters correct for montane species is not easy and too often, many aren’t even aware that they are so different than panthers and veileds.

Thank you all for your kind words. It's been tough, looking in the corner where he used to be and realizing he's not there anymore. I can tell my dad misses him too. He loved watching Barnaby and loved taking pictures to show off. Today he said, "you'll get another one, right?". He normally doesn't show much affection for my pets but I can tell this has hit him too.

Thank you all for your kind words. It's been tough, looking in the corner where he used to be and realizing he's not there anymore. I can tell my dad misses him too. He loved watching Barnaby and loved taking pictures to show off. Today he said, "you'll get another one, right?". He normally doesn't show much affection for my pets but I can tell this has hit him too.
I’m so sorry you lost your little friend. Rest in peace Barnaby. I hope you and your dad will cherish the memories and find peace.

Back
Top Bottom