Chameleon gaping and looking upward

Darsii

I got my chameleon about a week ago, “Rambo” he’s a Jackson chameleon and about 5 months old (reptile store’s estimate) but he recently went to the top of his enclosure (2’x2’x4’) started basking then looking up at the light and gaping… I’m sure he’s not being a silly goose and something’s up. Any help?

Forgot to add his basking temp is only about 78-80°F

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpeg
    IMG_0334.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0337.jpeg
    IMG_0337.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 25
Hello and welcome! That is called star gazing and its not a good sign unfortunately. He is either too hot or he has an upper respiratory infection.

Jackson's are a montaine species and cannot handle warm temperatures and will quickly die from the heat. My Jackson's for some reason will not move out of his basking light as long as it is on, I don't know if its a derp thing with him or if its a Jackson's thing.....but anyways just for his safety I only have my boys basking light on for 30 minutes each morning.

Turn off his basking light now and see what he does. If he closes his mouth and acts normal he was over heating and you'll need to adjust how long that lamp is on during the day. Basking temps should be no more than 80 degrees and his ambient temps in his enclosure should be no more than 76 degrees at the top and 68 degrees on the bottom.

IF he has a respiratory infection then you will need to move quickly to save his life. By the time chameleons start gaping like that the infection is quite advanced. These infections move quickly so its very important to get him to an exotic vet with chameleon care experience. I've attached a spreadsheet for you that lists some exotic vets that others here on the forum have recommended. You need to try and get him in ASAP, like today if possible.

Attachments

• Exotic Vet Recommendations - U.S.A..pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Jackson's are a more delicate species and can die easily if their care is not on-point. The next thing I would strongly recommend is doing a complete husbandry review so we can see if there are any adjustments you need to make for your little guy. I've included the form below. Please fill this out with as much detail as you possibly can share with me and I'll review this for you :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

It looks like you have the coiled uvb light in your double dome fixture there. That light doesn’t provide enough uvb light for a chameleon. You need either a reptisun 5.0 or an Arcadia 6% long linear bulb in a t5ho fixture that extends the width of your cage. Now I don’t know what size cage you have but a Jackson’s chameleon needs a 24x24x48 inch cage at the very least so youll need to get a 22 inch long light and a 24 inch t5ho fixture. I hope he’s ok and I hope he doesn’t have a respiratory infection. If he’s continuing to gape then you’ll need to take him to ann experienced chameleon vet for evaluation annd possible treatment. Ask any questions you have as we are here to help.

I got my chameleon about a week ago, “Rambo” he’s a Jackson chameleon and about 5 months old (reptile store’s estimate) but he recently went to the top of his enclosure (2’x2’x4’) started basking then looking up at the light and gaping… I’m sure he’s not being a silly goose and something’s up. Any help?

Forgot to add his basking temp is only about 78-80°F
elizaann2 has given the best advice here! I unfortunately lost my baby chameleon yesterday due to an upper respiratory infection. Chameleons are VERY prone to them and they should be treated right away with antibiotics. Luckily, with the symptoms you are describing right now, the respiratory infection is still treatable. If he has his head up, he's gaping, and his eyes are closed, then it might be too late to do anything. It's worth a try though! I wish you all the luck and I hope your chameleon gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom