Carpet Female Keeps Hanging Upside Down and Falling

gratefulj

I can't figure out why she is doing this? She's never done it before and she has probably fallen over a dozen times just the past few days. Her basking temps are good, she's eating well, active, etc. I just can't figure it out, my only slight indication is maybe she is trying to get closer to her UVB.. What could this indicate if that so be the case? :confused:

I might add that her UVB basking area ranges from 2 to 6 inches from the bulb so I believe that is within ample range...

I think you would benefit from completing the "How to Ask For Help" form.

I'm also curious. You say she is "falling over" but relate it to crawling on the ceiling...is she only falling when she is trying to climb on the ceiling? Is she unable to keep a good hold and so falling?

To clarify.... Yes, she is only falling when hanging upside down. She still has all her nails. She's never really had an over-powering grip, so I guess you could say it's kinda weak, her limbs are all straight though, she is 5 and 1/2 months old and I have had her for a month and a half. I didn't see her fall today(not to say she didn't), but she did continue to roam the top of her cage upside down. Her appetite is great and she drinks well. Kinda odd, I feel like maybe because she's such a small young girl and she's at that point where she's really starting to mature and fill out and grow, maybe she hasn't adapted to being a little heavier and her nails aren't all that long to grip the screen well....

Does she only fall when you are in her sights? Young chameleons sometimes get very scared of large things, and do "suicide falls" as a last resort to running away. How used to seeing you is she?

If she is ONLY falling when she is on the ceiling, I suspect that she is simply too big to hang from the ceiling now.

My chams hit points where they were simply too big and heavy to crawl on the screen.

JMO

I have yet to see her fall from anywhere except the ceiling so I'm hoping that's all it is. She's still a small girl but she is pleasantly plump, and I suspect/hope it's just her weight is too much for her little nails and hands to bear...

I guess the thing that concerns me is that she falls repeatedly and continues to do the same thing over and over again :rolleyes: ... I put a thick towel in the bottom of the cage to break her fall til she breaks this cycle lol

No one ever said chams learn to not to dumb things. :rolleyes:

I would add more branches and vines, to various spots, especially near the top, so hopefully shell figure out she can use those instead of the ceiling.

Yeah. That's a good idea camimom, I will try that and keep my eyes on her over the next couple days and post back.

Back
Top Bottom