Can't decide which cage!

bloran

I need a larger cage for my growing panther. I have narrowed it down to LLLReprtile's 24x24x48 and DIY's SC-4 (new F3 model). Probably can't go wrong with either one.....

The SC-4 looks stronger but I like LLL's drainage tray?

I have the LLL and the new DIY. The DIY looks tons better with the clasps and polished aluminum. Just my opinion... BUT, with the LLL you can always upgrade later and get the new top attachment!

I need a larger cage for my growing panther. I have narrowed it down to LLLReprtile's 24x24x48 and DIY's SC-4 (new F3 model). Probably can't go wrong with either one.....

The SC-4 looks stronger but I like LLL's drainage tray?

Hey wanted to share this I bought two of these cages 48"x24" on ebay they are the same as the diy.com cages i think but are half the price I paid 68.50 for each and they are great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Screen-rept...561&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=251154972825&

Yeah, the extender could be nice!

The ebay one is tempting? I wish I could see a picture of it first. I don't want it to be all warped and busted up....

i've been happily buying LLL cages and own about 40 of them. and although they're great overall, my hinges are ALL starting to rust after being outdoors for the past 6 months or so, to the point where some doors are almost un-openable. granted, they're getting misted 5x daily + rain, but i still thought they would hold up better. but at least the screens have not rusted like the one (new model) ReptiBreeze that i have out there.

i'll be WD-40'ing the hinges and then using some silicone grease after that, but the next time i need to order, i'm going to try DIY's newer model and see if it holds up better (which it should, theoretically).

I would like to make my own cage but I am finishing up some bookshelves so my garage and tools will not be accessible for a few weeks :( and then it would take me a couple weeks to build it...

I need a cage now!

I think I will give the DIY cage a shot. I am concerned that the website calls all their XL cages "B grade" though? What is up with that?

I would like to make my own cage but I am finishing up some bookshelves so my garage and tools will not be accessible for a few weeks :( and then it would take me a couple weeks to build it...

I need a cage now!

I think I will give the DIY cage a shot. I am concerned that the website calls all their XL cages "B grade" though? What is up with that?

They are the same as the ones on ebay B grade. I get mine tomorrow so ill post a photo ive only heard good things about them though. You can email the seller he is really nice maybe he could take some pic for you.

The B grade ones had some issues with a strong teflon like smell I believe. It might be different now. Try emailing to ask?

I have four LLL 4' cages in grey and four 3' cages from DIY and I hate the DIY ones. The hinges are rusty and they aren't even outside. And the door panel screen looked worse and worse with each subsequent cage purchase - it came dented, pleated, or wavy in every single cage. They look so mediocre that I plan on replacing the door screen with a panel of acrylic instead in the near future (I also sent them an email about it with photos and never heard back). But the LLL cages at least arrived looking new. So I will be sticking to buying cages from LLL from now on, even if it does cost a bit more.

That being said, I don't know about the new model DIY has. But I don't know that I'll be trying anything from them in the future.

Edited to add photos of 2/4 cages:

img9019e.jpg
img9016zm.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, dont get the reptibreeze ones! I've been able to keep the rust to only very small spots by getting the screen wet as little as possible but its a HUGE pain in the butt!

Well, I went with the LLL. I got the water tray too. I was really going back and forth but finally went LLL since I needed some cal supplements too and got them with one order. I was also a bit nervous about the "B grade" comments. Probably not a big deal but I didn't want to end up with a warped cage or buggered up screen and no way to return it (to get ebay price). I will go DIY on the next cage.

:(I bought a reptibreeze over the weekend (ordered from petco.com) Took about 3 days to ship. The issue is the screen on the door looks all wrinkled and the holes for the screen door were pre stripped. the door does no open smoothly and the bottom door snags the main door causing the unit to look misaligned with gaps. The instructions were very easy and I did not have a issue putting it together. IMO, the unit is poorly made. I want a refund but I dont think I can wait.

Creddjobs, the reptibreeze cage that I had--- despite being called an "aluminum screen cage" ---- rusted within a few months.
It's the first time I ever saw rusty "aluminum".
There have been a number of other people who've posted the same thing--that the screens rusted.
As for the gaps--guess where your feeders will go :(
Spare yourself the headache and get a different cage.

I like penn plax hd cages the best out of all of them. They are really sturdy and have a cross bar on the top to help support wieght from lights and dripper etc.. plus the acrylic door is pretty nice. totally worth the extra money for the clean look they have and I use the LLL drainage trays with them as well but it was a tight squeeze lol

Back
Top Bottom