Cage size for Adult Panther?

hiihenry

Hi everyone,
Henry my Panther Chameleon is getting around 7 months now, and I'm looking to build him is adult cage in the next month.
I actually think my cousin (also reptile savvy) is going to build it for my for christmas (sweet!!) So I've got to give him the dimensions as well as draw up a kind of blue print.

Right now I believe his cage is 18X18X30 (lxwxh), It's a reptibreeze and I was wondering:
how big his adult cage should be?

and other questions:
how should I go about sealing the wood?
Are there types of wood that are toxic to chameleons?
What kind of screen should I use?
Thank you for your time!
Chelsea

My 7 month cham just went into his big boy cage this week!

I used pine, I've read somewhere cedar is bad but Im not sure.
I stained it and sealed it several times then I let it sit and air out took about 3 weeks for me to even feel comfortable about the fumes ( I'm parnoid lol)
as for mesh I used the pvc coated pet screen from home depot. Some people use aluminum and I've read that crickets (voltures lol) can eat through fiberglass pretty much comes down to what your comfortable working with

Hope this helps

View attachment 17297

Its 2'x2'x4', this is in mid set up

Last edited:
Thanks guys! was thinking of making mine a little bit wider, just so I can put maybe two trees in there for him.
Both of those cages look awesome!
beeze: I like the draining tub you set up! will definitely keep that in mind

Thank you for the reply, Im thinking about going 3x2x4 (lxwxh).
Oh and how do you go about putting the screen on? I know my repti breeze cage has it rolled in like windows, is that what people do with their cages?

I just used staples and wrapped the screen around the sides of the wood so no staples are exposed.
Good luck! Post pics

Oh ok! Thanks that's a good idea! my cousin who's a year older than me is building me the cage for my christmas present :] So I'll be excited how it turns out too! I'll definitely take pictures...Henry can' wait either. He's starting to act like he wants to get out of his cage a lot. so for now I let him walk on my curtain rod and enjoy some sun :]

I'm about to do a write-up for the cage I'm currently building for my veiled chameleon, it's about the same size so give me a day or 2 and look for that :D

oh ok :] Awesome! btw, your little vield in the avatar is wayyy too cute. makes me want to get a baby chameleon again :p My henry is growing up too fast :[ :p

Back
Top Bottom