Butterworms????

KylieT

So I picked up some butterworms at my local walmart in the fishing section and can't seem to find any information on breeding or keeping them. Anyone who has any input it would be greatly appreciated!

welll they actually turn into moths if you dont refridgerate them sooo i would keep them cold, but if your looking to breed im assuming your gonna have to let them turn into moths and have the moths lay eggs just like hornworms, but im not 100 percent sure.... but keep them refrigerated for now

You can't breed them. They are sterilized upon importation as they are considered a pest species. If you leave them out of the fridge they just die after a while in my experience. I don't think they'll even turn into moths.

PS - super jealous that you can pick them up locally! Butterworms are excellent feeders high in calcium. Lucky you that you don't have to pay shipping to get them!

Ferretinmyshoes! Go to walmart in the fishing section! Wax Worms Butterworms Nightcrawlers and even Crickets are all stock in the fishing sections of most walmarts! Trust me! I work there!

It's unfortunate that they are sterilized btw that puts a damper on that, but I have a steady supply of them 20 for $4.

If I let them pupate into moths do they loose any nutrition? and they seem to like spinach.

Last edited:
all butterworms are imported from chili. Before they are exported they are shot with low doses of radiation to make them sterile and prevent them from pupating into moths. You're so lucky you can get them for so cheap. I may be buying some from you at your work and have you ship them to me! lol

all butterworms are imported from chili. Before they are exported they are shot with low doses of radiation to make them sterile and prevent them from pupating into moths. You're so lucky you can get them for so cheap. I may be buying some from you at your work and have you ship them to me! lol

radiation? doesnt sound healthy for my cham

My Walmart doesn't have them. I've checked. :(

radiation? doesnt sound healthy for my cham

Radiation is very short lived. They do this with just an x-ray beam most likely, which means the residual radiation lasts maybe a few hours max, but most likely no time at all due to low dosages.

So I picked up some butterworms at my local walmart in the fishing section and can't seem to find any information on breeding or keeping them. Anyone who has any input it would be greatly appreciated!

like what everyone else said. i get mine from elliot's butterworms and i keep them in my fridge. lasts for months. i didn't know walmart had them but i'm going to check next time. try elliot's butterworms out next time. their prices are pretty good.

Damn they wont pupate that sucks. I wonder if you can get them site to store from walmart we have a program where if you can order it online to come in to the store then you will not pay shipping and you can just pick it up at your walmart. ditching the spinich.

It's unfortunate that they are sterilized btw that puts a damper on that, but I have a steady supply of them 20 for $4.

If I let them pupate into moths do they loose any nutrition? and they seem to like spinach.

this............. lol

Damn they wont pupate that sucks. I wonder if you can get them site to store from walmart we have a program where if you can order it online to come in to the store then you will not pay shipping and you can just pick it up at your walmart. ditching the spinich.

sounds like a great idea but i couldn't find butterworms on their website.

For sale

NOW SELLING CHEAP CHEAP BUTTERWORMS 20 FOR 4 DOLLARS PLUS THE PRICE OF AN ICE PACK AND SHIPPING!

HAHA april fools.....

Back
Top Bottom