Bulb questions and opinions

EazyBaKe0vEn

I wanted to get everyones opinion about Zoo Meds 75watt and 100watt "Repti Basking Spot Lamp". Are these bulbs known to cause eye problems or possibly might impair the vision of a Chameleon? How are these bulbs if you are using them working for you and how long have you been using them? If you do not use Zoo Meds 75watt and 100watt "Repti Basking Spot Lamp" what are you using?

I use the 50w and have used the 75w. I have had no problems at all. I have used them for years. A 100w heat bulb can be way to much. You can also use a regular household bulb for heating.

I use the 75w one for awhile now and have used them with other reptiles too I really like them. For the size of the bulb they do a really good job heating and make a great basking spot.

I don't bother with the specialized basking spot lights. A regular white house incandescent bulb works just fine. All they need from this light is the heat and general light. The more critical bulb is the UVB source.

You can use a basking bulb or just a regular house bulb for the basking light-just make sure that it produces adequate heat for your cham.

Interestingly I have a 75 Watt Zoomed bulb that just burned out this morning! I've only had it for 2 weeks, so it must have been defective I guess. As the only heat source, this could have been a real disaster so I'm fortunate I noticed this and put in a regular 75 W bulb. I got the bulb as part of a package from Kammerflage and they already said they'd reimburse me for a new one.

In the future though, since this is just for heat, is there really any advantage to one of these bulbs over a regular bulb? I mean they do cost more, and certainly don't seem to last longer! The only real difference I see is that the heat/light they produce is a bit more focused on a smaller spot, but I'm not sure how important that is.

Radstusky, I have asked all the same questions. I always keep the receipt. I found myself returning every bulb I purchased like zoomed and exo terra because they burn out after several weeks. Eventually, I just ended up buying household bulbs. These houshould bulbs are cheaper and seem to last longer.

The Zoo Med basking bulbs I have on 2 of my cages have been in use for almost a year. The other cages, the bulbs are between 5 & 7 months old. A regular house bulb is cheaper though to replace and works just as well.

Back
Top Bottom