Bearded Dragons

Kmw

As of this weekend I've stumbled into a sisterly pair of 6 year old(ish) bearded dragons. The sister-in-law of an ex co-worker asked me on behalf of one of her friends if I could take in these two for a couple months until their owner finds a home where he can live with them. She knew he needed someone's help and I was the only person she knew with lizards. When he left them with me today he told me that if at the end of this I was attached to them, I could have them - so we'll see.. I'm not really a fan of them, I mean, they're cute and very friendly I just don't want to OWN one (But then again they're totally free)

I thought there was dangers with housing two together, but these two have been together since hatch and there has been no issues! They're very docile and quite adorable.

I have decided I'm going to rename them while they're in my care, especially if there's a chance that they'll become my pets. Their names they had were Laverne and Shirley. But the guy didn't seem like he really wanted to resume ownership of them but he does want them to be in good hands because they belonged to a good friend of his, but she moved up north and didn't want to take them for fear of what a simple power outage could do to them. If he does give them to me i'll gladly accept even if they don't stay in my care, I have a young nephew who has been wanting one and he was ecstatic when I brought these home.

Any good tips, or care sheets would be appriciated. :)

Attachments

• 288439_10151869096710195_407483533_o.jpg
    288439_10151869096710195_407483533_o.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 290037_10151869373530195_673669624_o.jpg
    290037_10151869373530195_673669624_o.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 457285_10151869372575195_1233695635_o.jpg
    457285_10151869372575195_1233695635_o.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 581213_10151869374750195_1533091312_n.jpg
    581213_10151869374750195_1533091312_n.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 124
Officially named "Koume" and "Kotake". They're been eating just apple before I got them. Gave them a good mix of bugs today and they went wild for them! :)

Dragons are some awesome lizards. the both of them look pretty dehydrated to me and a tad malnourished. I would soak them in about 2-3 inches of water once a day for 10 minutes or so in wamr waTER.. Give them lots of greens. Dont listen to what you read about iceberg. Iceberg is just fine to help hydrate and keep on the insects. These things are beast and will tear through food like they will never see it agaiN.

Good luck!

Yeah, I took them both out and spritzed them with water today, wasn't sure about bathing them or anything so I didn't do that yet; now I know, I will forsure. They were only being fed apples before. I know he didn't use any sort of supplementing on the apples, just plain apples.

I use Repashy Calcium Plus for our chameleons, and geckos. I imagine it's fine for the dragons as well. Correct me if i am wrong, though.

I also am not entirely sure about a feeding schedule for them. I have super worms, crickets, and dubia as well as vegitables. How often/many feeders should I be giving them?

He also didn't have UVB for them, but said they were "where it was sunny" - so who knows. But I went out today and got them a 10.0 UVB and got that all seet up for them.

Yeah, I took them both out and spritzed them with water today, wasn't sure about bathing them or anything so I didn't do that yet; now I know, I will forsure. They were only being fed apples before. I know he didn't use any sort of supplementing on the apples, just plain apples. Man, im glad they are in your care now. Fruits are not good as a staple.

I use Repashy Calcium Plus for our chameleons, and geckos. I imagine it's fine for the dragons as well. Correct me if i am wrong, though. Same supplements and schedule is perfect. they are more forgiving on the use of d3 but imo a chameleons schedule is king of the hill.

I also am not entirely sure about a feeding schedule for them. I have super worms, crickets, and dubia as well as vegitables. How often/many feeders should I be giving them? Adults will eat anywhere from 12-24 large crickets. They can even eat more just depending on size and appetite. I personally am anti super worm but to each there own. I would treat them like a snack. They LOVE dubia and i mean LOOOOVVVEEE. You can feed them as much as you want. Greens should be given daily and insects every other day.

He also didn't have UVB for them, but said they were "where it was sunny" - so who knows. But I went out today and got them a 10.0 UVB and got that all seet up for them. Awesome, they love outside time also if you can.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Reactions: Kmw
If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Outside will definitely be easy with them, they're so friendly and don't climb trees like some little creatures I know. :eek: Thanks for the info! At least things are on the right track with them. Hopefully they start looking nice and healthy soon :)

:p Dont be fooled. They can climb very well.

they recover very quick. i think you will have them shaped up in no time.

Back
Top Bottom