Baby Veiled gray and spotted?

I brought my baby Veiled home today and set up his cage, hes currently inside. He was bright green for acouple of hours then just turned dark gray.

Is this normal? Or is he afraid of something?

He won't eat either. :( I feel like a new parent, worrying about his every move.

As I am typeing this he is crawling across the keyboard lol

Hi, sounds to me like he's just stressed out from coming home. He might not eat for a day or two, and the gray spotted color is just stress. People on this board suggest leaving him completely alone for a week other than the necessary feedings/mistings.

Although this is probably all that's wrong, I would suggest filling out the How to Ask for Help Form, so you can be reassured that your husbandry is correct.

Yeah almost all chams act funny and have funny colors the first few days in their new environment. just don't make sudden movements around the enclosure, keep it very calm and chill in the room he's in and should perk up in a few days. Congrats on him tho!!! Do you have any pix of him?

Make sure your uvb lamp is close enough to the branches in your cham's cage. When I first got mine I had the lamp too far away and he shriveled up and almost died. He started being green and way more active once his light was close enough.

It's very usual for a cham to take a little while to settle into a new house. Leave him in his cage for the first week (no playing on the computer :)) and he'll settle easier. You can try and hand feed him at the cage door but don't be surprised if he prefers it free ranging for now.

Thanks guys yeah hes doing better color-wise but moving very sluggish and still wont eat. He wont cup feed and I can't free range, the crickets will escape through the screen.

Thanks guys yeah hes doing better color-wise but moving very sluggish and still wont eat. He wont cup feed and I can't free range, the crickets will escape through the screen.

Are you using a clear glass to cup fees him? That's the only way mine will do it if they can see the crix moving around in the glass. And as soon as I back up its a massacre of crickets lol

I hope it works for ya! It's so frustrating when they won't cooperate. If your able to find the thread of the guy who lost his veiled outside in Texas for 4 months and found him the other day, check out that thread. It just proves that they can really be put thru the ringer and come out ok. Especially cooking in Texas heat all summer long :(

Back
Top Bottom