Babies housed together!?!

gwilliams

I am having Veilds / panthers hatch at the same time today and wondering if I can put them in the same baby bin? Dumb question but I need to know if I have to go out and buy another baby cage....

OMG!!!!!!:) So Exciting!

i dunno about housing 2 different species in the same bin even as babies. May incur more stress and risk of injuries no? Would be interesting to see if they say its ok and why it would be.

OHH btw gratz on ur lil hatchlings... how many you get total?

I'm not sure, the veilds are a TAD bit bigger - but I'm "thinking" (which isn't always wise for me) that it would be okay until the supplies I have ordered arrive through UPS...

Go get a small piece of styrofoam/plastic from lowes and divide it in half if your worried and have more enclosures coming.

yeah you could always do the diy baby bins ala walmart and steralite containers. lol

I plan on going that route after seeing the stuff Seeco did with his breeding setup.

That's a good idea.... I do have extra containers like that - and could just run and get more lighting if I can find any nearby... they're all sold out!

I wouldnt see the problem if they both hatched out the same size but the veileds more than likely will be bigger and definitely grow faster. They can be kept very similar so I wouldnt see the temps and humidity being a problem just the size. Also, I would go out and get quite a few bins. You are going to want to separate them and its a good idea to start off raising them in small groups instead of one large one. This cuts down on food competition, irritation between each other etc.

That's a good idea.... I do have extra containers like that - and could just run and get more lighting if I can find any nearby... they're all sold out!

walmart sells clamp on lights, so then its just a matter of getting a cfl uvb light to put in or heat lamp depending on need/usage.

I wouldnt see the problem if they both hatched out the same size but the veileds more than likely will be bigger and definitely grow faster. They can be kept very similar so I wouldnt see the temps and humidity being a problem just the size. Also, I would go out and get quite a few bins. You are going to want to separate them and its a good idea to start off raising them in small groups instead of one large one. This cuts down on food competition, irritation between each other etc.

Agree'd - when you say "Bins" - are you talking like rubbermaid containers with makeshift climbing/plants etc?

Thanks!

walmart sells clamp on lights, so then its just a matter of getting a cfl uvb light to put in or heat lamp depending on need/usage.

They do? I didn't know that - okay good to knnow.... I was told to use th T5 Linear tube 25w...... I use an 18 inch one currently.

i dunno about housing 2 different species in the same bin even as babies. May incur more stress and risk of injuries no? Would be interesting to see if they say its ok and why it would be.

OHH btw gratz on ur lil hatchlings... how many you get total?

We have over 80 eggs! So this is going to be a big one... 25 NosyBe and About 75 veilds....

w0w thats a lot of fruit flies and pinheads! good luck and post some pictures! :D

Babies get really fiesty at about a week old and you would be taking a chance on them nipping tails, legs, arms and so forth. Post #2 here you can see how I raised babies from hatch until about a month old and then the larger ones started going in cages. https://www.chameleonforums.com/baby-bin-set-up-74067/

Thank you Jannb! That is a great set up - I just printed the picture and will have hubby start working on something like this today!

Yeah, I meant like the plastic rubbermaid bins. Just depends on what size you use for how many you put in there. Just dont want it over crowded. As Jann said, they do get fiesty and if you dont want to be selling beat up babies in the future then put them in smallest groups possible. :)

Back
Top Bottom