Do hatchlings need smaller enclosures?

Timeless Storm

I have a Panther Chameleon egg that should be hatching between April and July. This gives me time to gather the things it will need for a setup. I know crested geckos need to start with a smaller enclosure, otherwise, they may not eat, and with bearded dragons, you can put them in a full-sized enclosure from the get-go. So I'm wondering what the correct protocol is for chameleons. What size does an adult need, and does a baby need something smaller?

Babies go in a baby bin (plastic tote or small enclosure) with uvb only , no basking light for a short period of time and quickly transfer to a minimum 24x24x48 around 3mos. I am not exactly sure on timeframe someone else will probably chime in more accurate.
If you have not checked out chameleon academy it is a great resource overall but has podcasts on babies and husbandry.
Welcome!!! 😃

Babies go in a baby bin (plastic tote or small enclosure) with uvb only , no basking light for a short period of time and quickly transfer to a minimum 24x24x48 around 3mos. I am not exactly sure on timeframe someone else will probably chime in more accurate.
If you have not checked out chameleon academy it is a great resource overall but has podcasts on babies and husbandry.
Welcome!!! 😃
Thank you! I'll check out chameleon academy! I didn't realize chameleons needed such large enclosures.

When I breed I use smaller cages for neonates for space saving reasons. The tub method works well and is handy for surprises. It also has the advantage of making observation and monitoring easier. I would be comfortable moving a panther to a full sized cage at 2 months provided the basking lamp was raised off of the ceiling and the basking temperature closely monitored. If that's not an option wait a month more or so.

Hello, I'd be happy to assist if you still have questions.
Camilla
Awesome! I have so many! Lol.

What humidity level do they need? When do I put them in a bigger enclosure and do I jump straight to full size (2x2x4?)? I have a little critter keeper that my baby gecko is in, will that be good for a baby chameleon? What's the ideal temperature for them? and question from my husband, do they need to be taught how to eat? I feel like they wouldn't because lizards seem very instinctual, but I said I would ask anyway.

Babies often have a hard time finding their food in a bigger enclosure. I keep veiled and panther babies in baby bins the first 2 months.

IMG_1490.jpeg
IMG_1491.jpeg
IMG_1492.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom