Would it be ok

rachelk

to leave my veiled cham at home for 3 days? I just recently took him home (2 weeks ago) with me since I was gone a week, but this time it will only be for 3 whole days he will be left alone. I don't want to take him bc of stress yet I have a portable cage and don't mind packing him up but I'd rather leave him, he has one dripper.

The dripper last about 1 day since it will be dripping over night... so he will be without water for about 2 days then...(I can get a second bigger dripper if it will help).

My question is, will this be ok? or should I take him? The humidity stays pretty high in his cage bc I have the dripper drip into a cup and that helps... I will also put 2 feeder cups in his cage that should last him.

Going without water for even a few hours was the death of my chameleon, but it was also hot. You can't control the lights while you're gone, either.

I suggest asking a friend or family member to look after him while you're gone.

I have the dripper drip into a cup and that helps.

A cup? Why a cup? Don't you have drainage?

the lights are on a timer, so all that is good, and I do not have anyone that I "trust" to watch him...

I will take him with me if everyone on here thinks that is too long to go without water, I just didn't want to stress him out again from moving him to a different enclosure for a few days...?

Well if trust is the issue, maybe look for people in your area around the forums, post in the classifieds you need a chameleon-sitter for a few days?

rachelk, in this case, you will need to get either a reptile sitter or a misting system.
2 days without water is a no no.

how old is this chameleon?

The only way I would leave my chams for a few days..if if everything was automated...Which everthing was automated for me..Auto misters went off every hour for 1 minute, lights were on a timer..and LOTS of food! I think that would be okay...but if not..i wouldnt...like Syn said they need water everyday muti. times a day..how would you like to go a few days without drinking? Same thing..

How old is your veiled? Is it male or female, and chance it is gravid? I will be honest with you I won't leave my chams for one day with no water and would NEVER consider 3 days. That might cost you a cham. it would be a larger risk if it is small.

Ok, well looks like I'll be packing Leonard up with me! Which is not a big deal, I just didn't want the added stress on him ya know... but if you all think he can't go that long without water then I'll take him. I definately would not want to risk it and he is about 8 to 9 months old. I have friends that I could ask but they are more of the type to not go near "lizards" if you know what I mean...I just wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him with someone who hates the sight of them, ha. I don't usually travel so that is why I don't have an automatic misting system, some day though... Thanks guys!

Going without water for even a few hours was the death of my chameleon, but it was also hot. You can't control the lights while you're gone, either.

I suggest asking a friend or family member to look after him while you're gone.

A cup? Why a cup? Don't you have drainage?

And no I do not have a drainage system. I set the dripper up high and let it drip down his plants into a screened cup to catch the water, I just dump the water out when the dripper runs out and start all over, it works out pretty well. but ya a proper drainage system would be better... I'm working on it though.

Rachelk, how about asking a member from this forum?
How do your friend feel about refilling the dripper woth water every day? It's not really asking them too much, isn't it? they don't even have to touch the reptile.
In this case, your chameleon will be fine for 3 days.
I would probably put some caterpillar feeder types in his cup enough for 2 days before you leave.

Hornworms would be good for hydration as well, but not necessarily a replacement for dripping and misting.

I just started a new Thread for you on this question for a way of dripping for leaving for several days. I started a new thread so other could possibly use the idea also.

Back
Top Bottom