Worried about my panther cham?

laurahlove

Hey, I've been noticing for a little while some strange behavior from my panther. He doesn't ever go to the top of his cage, where the lights are. He's always at the bottom in the dark. Which worries me because I feel like he's not getting enough UVB.

Another thing, I think his tail is bloated. It looks big. Here are some pictures.

b59021c075669ae023d2bd357216b11e.jpg

edd8706ff03f3b02aa426da91edd2662.jpg

His enclosure:
1cc54515c77c0d9415e12c4dec0d120c.jpg

This is usually where he is:
392411c641853e06113dc045785ff63e.jpg

He's eating fine, pooping fine, and drinking fine. Drank some water this morning.

Any advice?

What is your basking temp?

Hes probably freaked out by the fact that hes too exposed at the top, he needs more foliage up there.

and his tail is fine, that just means hes a healthy male.

That bulge is very normal, no need to worry. What is the temperature inside the room he is in? He may be getting too hot and might not need the basking light until the temperature drops. I would say if the temperature in the area he is at its 75F or above just use the uvb. When days start getting colder, 75 and below then use the basking light again.

He probably finds it a bit arduous to try and get to the top of the cage, as you have very little in the way of branches, vines to help him. The more that you can fit in there, the better. Here is a pic of my cage to show you what I mean....

IMGP2763-005.JPG

As Camimom has said as well, lots more foliage with places that he can hide would be good as well.

Could it be because he was about to shed? I just went to check on him and he was at the top rubbing all over his vines covered in loose shed. His basking temp is 90. I will be getting more leafy vines for the top of his viv today.

Also, should I help him shed? He's gotten all of it off his body, its just stuck on his toes and head. I reached in and pulled a piece off his toe and he got pissed at me. :/

Could it be because he was about to shed? I just went to check on him and he was at the top rubbing all over his vines covered in loose shed. His basking temp is 90. I will be getting more leafy vines for the top of his viv today.

Also, should I help him shed? He's gotten all of it off his body, its just stuck on his toes and head. I reached in and pulled a piece off his toe and he got pissed at me. :/

Never pull off shed. you can damage the new skin.

Alright I got another 6 foot vine and put it all up at the top. Is this better? Its a lot thicker in there now.

2297e835ebde01ce6c7abd1ec801c2d8.jpg

Sounds like his behavior was because of the shed - and becoming more of a man- I like to give my gals and guys a bit spraying when they are shedding-

I would put more vines and leaves going across the cage so it can go where ever it wants. You can buy them from Kammerflage Kreations which is a fantastic panther breeding company. The leaves will also help the chameleon because it can go under them if he gets too hot. That is probably why he is at the bottom because it could be over heating.

Back
Top Bottom