Won't eat worms!- tips, tricks?

Aquaseafoam

My cham won't even try anything worm like. I ordered butterworms- which all died because he never ate them. I got wax worms, nothing. Won't take super worms either. I don't really want to order silkies and find out he won't eat those either.

I have tried offering nothing but wax and superworms for 2 days, but he still wouldn't eat them.

Are there any tricks for getting them to eat new things? Its like he doesn't realize they are food.

As of now he is getting crickets and roaches. I'd like to get a colony of silkworms started to go with the roaches if he will eat them :)
Thanks in advance!

My cham won't even try anything worm like. I ordered butterworms- which all died because he never ate them. I got wax worms, nothing. Won't take super worms either. I don't really want to order silkies and find out he won't eat those either.

I have tried offering nothing but wax and superworms for 2 days, but he still wouldn't eat them.

Are there any tricks for getting them to eat new things? Its like he doesn't realize they are food.

As of now he is getting crickets and roaches. I'd like to get a colony of silkworms started to go with the roaches if he will eat them :)
Thanks in advance!

Hi well I can tell you I had a similar problem one of our breeder males. This male wont eat anything worm like. But all I can say is when he was offered a silkworm he went nuts over them. I have never ever seen a chameleon turn down a silkworm. So I guess what im saying is go ahead get some silks and offer them to your cham he will love them. Good luck

Hi, I also have a very picky panther breeder. He wont take anything but a cricket. Which is fine as long as you gut load them and add calcium so they can get the proper nutrition. Don't give up on him though continue to offer him a variety but just don't purchase so many worms at one time, so you wont waste money.

Last edited:
I have the same issue here...I put cricks in the cage today and he ate 3-5 1/2 sized crickets. I bought silk worms, butter worms, wax worms and horn worms and my cham will not touch them at all. He may be going through the hormon stage that some have mentioned around here as he is roaming he cage a lot. Humidity and lighting is ok and there is little traffic where he is placed so I can't figure it out....I tried super worms as well and he only hissed at them...

If you want to see a cham not eating silk worms I have one for you!

Hi well I can tell you I had a similar problem one of our breeder males. This male wont eat anything worm like. But all I can say is when he was offered a silkworm he went nuts over them. I have never ever seen a chameleon turn down a silkworm. So I guess what im saying is go ahead get some silks and offer them to your cham he will love them. Good luck

where do you get your silkworms?
I want to buy them (I live in southern CA.. unfortunately, due to san diego fire.. the mulberry farms has to be evacuated.

where do you get your silkworms?
I want to buy them (I live in southern CA.. unfortunately, due to san diego fire.. the mulberry farms has to be evacuated.

We're getting them from Coastal Silkworms. Yeah its unfortunate for Mulberry cause they are an awesome source lso for worms. Good Luck

Thanks, I guess I'll keep trying periodically. I still have the super worms- maybe he'll eat them when they turn into beetles? ha.

I just recently offered my ambanja a silkworm and he started bobbing his head and exploded with colors then proceeded to mount the silkworm and tried to breed with it!!! It was the funniest thing I have ever seen!! I will try and get pics of it soon!!

On a different post (maybe even different site) I saw someone had stated that his cham wouldn't eat soldier fly larvae until he mixed them in a dish with some crickets. Once this was done the cham got used to eating them and would readily eat just the fly larvae.

Thanks in advance!

It sounds as though you breed your own crickets and roaches. If not, though, and the company you order them from also sells silkworms, then you could probably get them to send you a few free silkworms with your next order. SOme companies will do promotional stuff like that. Then you can try it out and see how it goes, without great expense. So far we haven't had a chameleon that did not go gaga over silkworms. Even the pickiest eaters. Although I did find this out- some prefer certain sizes. SOme love the big ones, another male cham we have will only eat smaller to medium ones. But he is an 8 month old cham, who is probably put off by the size.

Last edited:
It sounds as though you breed your own crickets and roaches. If not, though, and the company you order them from also sells silkworms, then you could probably get them to send you a few free silkworms with your next order. SOme companies will do promotional stuff like that. Then you can try it out and see how it goes, without great expense. So far we haven't had a chameleon that did not go gaga over silkworms. Even the pickiest eaters. Although I did find this out- some prefer certain sizes. SOme love the big ones, another male cham we have will only eat smaller to medium ones. But he is an 8 month old cham, who is probably put off by the size.

how old a veiled cham has to be b4 he's able to eat the small silkworm?
3 months? 4 months?

I buy crickets and breed the roaches. I left a superworm in the feeding cup with some crickets (and food for them to eat of course) so we'll see how that goes.
If nothing else I'll feed them to the turtles and salamander at work before they die. Perhaps I'll give silks a go later. I've been meaning to go to one of the monthly reptile expos around here- but I never wake up early on my days off! lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom