Wild Caught Vs Captive Bred

I have a few theories but I doubt it is that complicated. If we had 20 years and funding I'm sure we cold get closer to the answer. I just don't think that is going to happen for now.

Back on topic: Which is why I say that for now it is important to continue introducing WC blood in the captive populations.

I concur with you.

However if we did studies and it was proven what triggers a phenotype for breeding (if it turns out to be a genetic issue) to stop being expressed after many generations of being bred in captivity and a solution is found. This meaning populations could be maintained indefinitely in captivity. That could take a lot of pressure off of WC animals being the source to sustain the hobby and wild populations in general. With possibly the removal of WC from the hobby and farms bred animals becoming the source and could supply the world demand. Farms could be the ones to occasionally add new genetic material to prevent bottlenecks in self sustained populations. Theoretically lets say instead of having 2000 panthers a year going to only 200 panthers a year. That would lower the number and make more effective use of chameleons being made available and to sustain the hobby. That kind of study is worth the effort.

I concur with you.

However if we did studies and it was proven what triggers a phenotype for breeding (if it turns out to be a genetic issue) to stop being expressed after many generations of being bred in captivity and a solution is found. This meaning populations could be maintained indefinitely in captivity. That could take a lot of pressure off of WC animals being the source to sustain the hobby and wild populations in general. With possibly the removal of WC from the hobby and farms bred animals becoming the source and could supply the world demand. Farms could be the ones to occasionally add new genetic material to prevent bottlenecks in self sustained populations. Theoretically lets say instead of having 2000 panthers a year going to only 200 panthers a year. That would lower the number and make more effective use of chameleons being made available and to sustain the hobby. That kind of study is worth the effort.

In my opinion without even a study the numbers could immediately be reduced significantly without destroying the hobby if only those who were specifically engaged in a breeding program could receive the WC chameleons.

At present inexperienced and naive keepers are receiving WC only to die where an experienced keeper could have kept them alive and happy.

The problem is stupid organizations and regulatory bodies have this all or nothing mentality which is what really destroys the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom