Why I love dubias

My Chams really don't like Dubia's for some reason. Even if I starve them for a good few days they'll just eat one, reluctantly. Or even none.

I share the love of the Dubia and will also say that it is great to ALWAYS have the size appropriate feeder on hand :D:D

385524_10150458342626895_659346894_9013803_1889095912_n.jpg

Cham at 3.5g
403942_10150488074681895_659346894_9105733_566876350_n.jpg

My Chams really don't like Dubia's for some reason. Even if I starve them for a good few days they'll just eat one, reluctantly. Or even none.

My chams usually never eat more than one, two at the most....a dubia if sized right is a full meal:cool:

Dubia are awesome! So easy to take care of. Almost 0% die-off rate and much better meat to chitin ratio. No smell, no noise, no hassle. They are much better than crickets IMO, too bad my chams all prefer crickets. :cool:

i feel the same, but not all my chams love them either...but ive yet to see any dead ones..

one thing to keep in mind if you are considering them..

p.s. i just changed out my rosemary...totally helped :D

I love dubias, my cham doesn't which made me feel dissapointed LMAO was really looking forward to ditching crickets and their smell >.< but didn't work out so back to crickets and locusts :(

I have been raising praying mantis for about a year and had a dubia colony going to feed them. I started to have an excess amount, so I decided to buy a pair of veiled chameleons to help eat them. My chams like them fine. They have never eaten or seen another cricket from the time I purchased them. I feed mine dubias, silkworms, blue bottle flies, and the occasional luxury treat of a praying mantis. They sure move for the mantis.:D

Im on board with the Dubia crew!:D I've never had issues with them smelling like crickets can though. I going to have to try the Rosemary trick:)

That's exactly what I use. :)
How do you guys clean your "beetle" bins without trashing a bunch of nymphs?

Good question. Wish I had an answer for you. Very carefully? I have had them for a few years but I still cant touch them. I can touch the little ones but the big ones still creep me out. Thanks goodness for long tweezers.

:mad::mad::mad:Grrrr....you ppl with chams that will eat dubia!!! I get so mad when I see these small chams taking on those big dubia!! Claude wont touch them...no matter what I do! He did a few times now, he wont even look at em! Spit one out once, that was kind of funny... Hopefully Salvador will or I will be sending care packages of dubia to each and every one of you!! lol :p

I keep egg crates standing up in one side of my tub. I keep the food on the other end. I take out the food and tip up the top on the side with the egg crates. I then tap around so that all the stuff will slide to the end. All the roaches will climb out of the debris and back into the egg crates. I then sweep it up with a little broom and pan. I place the debris that I scoop up with the broom and place them into a screen type strainer over a bucket. All the debris will fall into the bucket and the nymphs will still be in the screen strainer. I then toss the nymphs back into the tub. Then throw out the debris from the bucket into a separate trash bag and throw it out. I can clean it out in less then 5 minutes from start to stop. Hopefully it will work for you as well.

I'll be trying my hand at Dubia when they come tomorrow! How do you all maintain proper temps? Heating pads are expensive!
I keep them in the same closet as my water heater, they do fine.
Once Im sure it wont get to cold out Im going to move them to my shed, it stays pretty warm and humid in there.

I keep egg crates standing up in one side of my tub. I keep the food on the other end. I take out the food and tip up the top on the side with the egg crates. I then tap around so that all the stuff will slide to the end. All the roaches will climb out of the debris and back into the egg crates. I then sweep it up with a little broom and pan. I place the debris that I scoop up with the broom and place them into a screen type strainer over a bucket. All the debris will fall into the bucket and the nymphs will still be in the screen strainer. I then toss the nymphs back into the tub. Then throw out the debris from the bucket into a separate trash bag and throw it out. I can clean it out in less then 5 minutes from start to stop. Hopefully it will work for you as well.

I basically do the same thing.
I knock them all off and remove all "furniture"(egg-crates) so its just dubia and frass left, then use a piece of card board to sweep it all to one side.
They all crawl out and back to where they are used to staying on the other side. Then I scoop out the "trash".

Step 1-- Keep dubias in a cup overnight w/out food
Step 2-- add your wet gutload
Step 3-- wait an hour for them to devour it all!!!!
Step 4-- Chameleon FEAST!!!!!!! (fit for chameleon kings...) :D

I love it when the gutload oozes out!!!!!!! :) Do you dubia?

**I'd love to see photos of some absurdly large colonies**

What age is your cham??? at what age can you start feeding dubias?? are they nutritious as crickets? can u dust them as well??

ill consider getting if you answer ;)

What age is your cham??? at what age can you start feeding dubias?? are they nutritious as crickets? can u dust them as well??

You can feed them to any age cham, provided they are of approprate size.
They are MORE nutritious than crickets, they have less fat, more protein.
They also hold their gutload for longer.
They dust as easily as crickets.;)

Get a smaller bin, drill out half the bottom with small holes. Then just shake off all egg crates, pull out your food and dump your large bin with the remaining dubia and frass into the smaller one. Shake over trash can til frass is gone, then replace the dubia into your main bin.:cool:

Did you even see the pic of my baby cham eating a dubia? They are far more nutritious than crickets and dust the same....but don't die from over dusting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Get a smaller bin, drill out half the bottom with small holes. Then just shake off all egg crates, pull out your food and dump your large bin with the remaining dubia and frass into the smaller one. Shake over trash can til frass is gone, then replace the dubia into your main bin.:cool:

Or this yes:p

Ive ordered from this guy(roach ranch) and was pleased with my order.

Back
Top Bottom