Why chameleons make good pets

I'm a parent, knowing how much you have to learn and do to keep a chameleon, and how those skills will serve you in the future is going to make a difference.

Of course, this is dependent on you doing the work. It's possible Dad is reluctant because he thinks it will fall to him and it's not easy.

So, show him what you know. Show him your plans. Make sure he understands that you have got this.

Hey there.

My experience with chameleons started in 2002. My girlfriend at the time bought me a Jacksons chameleon on the fly. I do not remember if I told her that I liked chameleons, she bought it for me, or if she just randomly bought it for me. Anyways, she gave me a TINY Jacksons in a glass aquarium. He died within two weeks. At that time, I did not know of this forum (if it even existed) and I was barely 15 years old. Since then I have done my research and raised one male veiled chameleon and now another 4 month old.

With this last chameleon, I just bought everything off Amazon. I still live at home and my mother was like WTF when she started accepting packages in the mail. That method worked for me, but my mother does not help take care of my chameleon.

I've read what others have stated on this thread and the only input I have is to consider the actual cost. The price of the supplies and chameleon is one thing, but you should also consider the cost of feeders and potential vet visits. I have thankfully avoided vet costs with my chameleons, but those feeders do add up very fast. Even if you have a colony of bugs started, you still should consider the cost of the veggies and gutloading ingredients they require. I certainly do not know your budget but that is my best advice to a new chameleon owner, especially if they have to consider parents' opinions and schedules.

I've noticed me traveling is much more difficult as I have to worry about the well being of my chameleon. I have a somewhat similar situation with a potential job opportunity 80 miles away (staying with a family member for the 3 days a week I'd be working). Now I have to consider someone caring for my chameleon, as I do not think my chameleon would appreciate a 80 mile drive once a week.

Anyway, I am sure others will give you some good advice here, but that's my two cents..

Take care!

Find a senior member in Dallas who will help you select the right items for the habitat, and help you set it up. This will gain the confidence of your dad, once he meets this mature, level headed person.:D

I am a grumpy old woman.:) So let me ask a few questions. How old are you? What experience do you have with pets? Have you ever owned a reptile and what kind? Have you shown your responsibility? How much time to you spend at each parents home, a week at each or a few days at each? how far apart do your parents live?
What happens if there is a problem and you are not there, does your dad have the responsibly of taking your cham to the vet? Who will pay for the vet? Do you have a fund for the vet?

If you can answer all these questions, then I may be able to help you.

Make sure your dad knows that you are on here learnign all that you can and asking all these questions to prove to him you ared dead serious. Ask if he would like to come on and ask any question or concerns he may have. Make him some kind of a written deal. That after you get your Cham, if you don't keep up on his care and the other things you do around the house, that after one or two written warnings, you will sell/rehome your Cham and won't ask for another one. Btw, you don't have a birthday coming real soon do you? Just a thought that he may be planning on getting it for you for your b-day. I hope he gives in soon. From you hard work you are doing just on this thread, I think you would be a great Cham owner. Fingers crossed and good vibes for you.

:D Hello purplebiotch, Glad to see that you are actually researching about an animal you want. That is showing responsibility and so maturity. I am a mom and finally gave in to my son for his 18th birthday. I would also request you answer Laurie's question to show how this will work. One big point for me is the educational part. I as a parent would love this idea,( every once in a while through a very interesting fact at your Dad about chameleons you had to research. Like the true name and where they are from. then maybe explain how they need help since their habitats slowly being destroyed by man. And another time something about nutrition like, things that have calcium in them and, what calcium does in your body.) Let him see how much it is already teaching you. Good luck and keep us up dated.

I hear you. I had two reptiles when I was little, and both my mom and dad thought my beared dragon and my water dragon was cute, so I rly didn't have that problem when brought up the chameleon news for them. It was mostly like "ye okay". But I understand youre problem, reptiles does "scare" many ppl, just cause they are an odd and random pet.
1. They do NOT smell what so ever.
2. They does NOT make any noice.
3. If you're using a misting system, just adjust the nozzle and put out a towel or something at the sides (just in case).
4.They are not messy, they mostly choose a "toilet" spot. You don't need any substrate to clean out and stuff.
5. This is probably the hardest part, roaches. The crickets does smell as h*ll, they do make noice and they jump and run around. This will be youre best argument. Roaches(dubia) does not smell nearly as much crickets do, they don't make any noice, you barley see them they rly like to hide in between the egg carts in the dark.
And my favorite, they are SO CUTE!!! and just a joy full to handle :)

Good luck to you!

Find a senior member in Dallas who will help you select the right items for the habitat, and help you set it up. This will gain the confidence of your dad, once he meets this mature, level headed person.:D

I offered to have you and your dad out. I have 17 sub adult/adult cages setup and am working with 3 different species. I would be happy to answer any questions about care and setup and cost of maintenance. We also have babies hatching out this weekend so he can see the life cycle from beginning to a near 5 year old panther.

I love chameleons because:

* they don't smell
* they don't create any mess
* they don't leave fur all over the carpet and furniture, and
* they don't need walking!

The only downside is the expense of the original setting up and buying of equipment and the chameleon itself, and perhaps the food that they eat if you don't like insects! I didn't like insects and really struggled with my first cham's feeders, but I have learnt so much and am so glad I got my first cham. I've never looked back and have had at least one for the last 5 years!

1) He thinks that since the Cham would be in a cage it would stink.

2)he thinks that a mister will spray water all over the place.

3) he thinks a bunch of responsibility will fall on his shoulders as my parents are divorced and I live in between houses. (But I don't think that really any would other than having to feed him while I'm gone, if I got a mister that is)

4) he's upset because crickets make to much noise

5) he is just a grumpy old man

Please discuss everything not just the issues listed above. Anything to help me out is appreciated.

Thank you all!
Carter Burkett

First off, as others have said... they don't stink at all. The only thing I smell in Zaphod's enclosure is fresh air. I have only two sides and the top made of screen and this would hold in smells more than a full screen enclosure, and I still don't smell anything. Secondly, the mister can actually be a rain dome that would limit the area that it covers and therefore the amount of over-spray. I use a mistking system with two double nozzles in my setup and have NO issues, and I don't even have a drainage system in place yet ;). As for the responsibility, the only part of this that I may side with your dad is if your little one got sick. There could be some additional chores due to medications, etc. but with a healthy cham, especially as they get older, even the feeding would be simple. As stated, the crickets could be an issue if full sized. So, get medium sized ones and get some different feeders that will be cleaner and quieter than cricks :).

As for being a grumpy old man, you are on your own with that one. He has in some part earned the right to this and nothing we say will change that.

The bottom line with chameleon ownership is that it is a huge responsibility. You have shown that you are willing to do the right thing to provide a good home for them, and if you can figure out the details of care while you are not there, I would love to watch you successfully raise one! Good luck with your dad, and I hope this helps! :)

Laurie,
I am 15

I've had a couple of dogs and a TONS of beta fish ;) but never a reptile

Yes when it comes to things like this I show responsibility consistently

I spend 4 or 5 days of the week almost every week at my dads.

My parents are less than 15 minutes from each other. They're really good friends

Yes which he could easily pick me up though but I will be getting a hardship over the summer so it would only be for a couple of months he would have to worry about that IF something were to happen that required a vet visit. Plus if there is a reason to go to the vet I would ask him to take me anyway until I can drive.

No I won't be able to pay on the spot for the vet but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to work it off in anyway he would want. However I have saved up enough for a panther chameleon a completed set up and another $200 for anything else I want or need.

Thank you all for all replies and I hope this helps!

Ok print out my questions and your answers and ask your dad if you may sit down and discuss the chameleon question. Print off a couple other pages as well. Don't bring up roaches or you may have lost the battle.:eek: Make sure you cover the fact that only adult male crickets can make noise, you won't need tons of crickets at a time for one cham and you will keep them clean.

NOW GO FOR IT!!

I'm just like you. I am 15 years old, my parents are divorced and I'm at my dads house every other week ( that's where I keep my Chams). I had turtles before I owned chameleons so they smelled really bad I mean really bad! I ended up giving them away after it was to much for me.
I started looking at other reptiles and found chameleons started doing research for about 4 months before convincing my dad that they dont stink like my turtles did.
The way I proved to my dad is I started being more responsible and I brought home a good report card so I earned it. I saved for a long time and finally got my first chameleon, chazam jr then recently added on a few more!
For the part on feeding them maybe ask your dad if he could feed them when your at you moms house.
Hope this helps!

I got my first chameleon when I was really young (7) and my parents were divorced. I know the age gap between 7 and 15 is quite a bit, but some things still apply. One of the things that I did to show my mom that I was really committed to getting one was that I purchased several chameleon books and read them cover to cover to get an idea of what kind of work goes into one and then reported what I learned back to her. I also explained exactly how I planned to care for the chameleon to her and how I would take on the responsibility of every day care.

What I would also recommend trying is to ask your father if you could set up a cage and complete environment (including a small amount of bugs) to show him how it will work without the chameleon in it just yet. Then he would be able to see that you know exactly what you are doing, how committed you are, and that you can control the water/spray. Also, I would recommend getting an adult animal (12+ months at least, preferably 18+ months.) Then he would not have to feed the animal while you are gone. 2-3 days without food for an adult is not a problem. All he would have to do is just walk in once a day, check out the animal to make sure it isn't sick looking, and possibly add water for the mister. For the cricket noise issue, Try getting ones that are not adults yet, and also try to get some kind of roach as well as worms. If you are able to mainly feed worms, roaches, and other kinds of quiet feeders, cricket noises will only be an issue if you decide to get adult crickets.

Edit: By the way, the biggest stink problem you will have is most likely with crickets. Chameleon poops dont smell unless they are ill or have parasites, or if the plants become water logged and gross they will start to smell like a sewer. Just make sure you get the animal from a reputable source, and your plants have good drainage. Also, make sure you take into consideration the drainage for the cage.

Most have covered my points already. One thing to add about water going outside of the enclosure: look into a raindome style misting system like Aquazamp. Placed on the top of the cage, I get no water traveling outside the screen.

Have you gotten to talk to your dad about any of his concerns yet? I'm curious if he has softened any. :)

i know i am in the minority,
i just don't think it is the best selection.
i mean, a cham is an everyday commitment!
everyday really, and i just don't think from what i read
you will be able to tend to it everyday, so i think it would be a mistake:(

i know i am in the minority,
i just don't think it is the best selection.
i mean, a cham is an everyday commitment!
everyday really, and i just don't think from what i read
you will be able to tend to it everyday, so i think it would be a mistake:(

Agreed.

9 out of 10 times the person on the other side knows best. Even if your desire says he is wrong wrong wrong wrong. 4 days a week does put the burden on him. If he does not want to care for the chameleon, that means the other 3 days he may or may not get the care he needs. I urge you to rethink your desire.

What do i know though...I too am a grumpy old man ;)

Anxiously waiting to here what your dad has to say. Hoping it goes good for you.
Let us know as soon as the talk is over.

So sorry for what happened. No one, specially your dad should say things like that to you. Is there a reason you can't bring him with you when you go to your mothers? Good luck to you. And know, we think only good things of you.

Back
Top Bottom