What outdoor cage does everyone prefer

Rascal

Hello
What outdoor cage does everyone prefer as far as well made, strongest screen?

My choices are DIYcages, Fresh Air Screen Habitat - Zilla or ReptiBreeze - ZooMed?

I ask about screen strength as wild love birds in yard and impossible to prefent them from perching on any cage you put outside esp if insects inside.

Thank you.

Home built, btw unless they have changed DIY cages rust outside. Find some vinyl coated hardware cloth and make your own. As for the others, if you need to buy one, make sure it's all aluminum.

I use a coated chicken wire. My one chameleon tore his feet up, and we think the uncoated chicken wire was the culprit as he likes to climb up the sides. I would not recommend using that. Yes, there are bugs and things that can enter through the holes, but I feel it is much more secure compared to regular screen. I really don't worry about predators too much. I do not leave them outside at night though.

I was thinking of using a crop cage for betraying fruit they are pop up style and come in 3x3x4 feet for about 30gbp

I have my two 2x2x4 Repti breeze cages outside and have had no issues. I have had for almost 4 months and no rust as of yet. they are not under direct rain but do get misted for more than an hour everyday.

Home built, btw unless they have changed DIY cages rust outside. Find some vinyl coated hardware cloth and make your own. As for the others, if you need to buy one, make sure it's all aluminum.

Thank you very much I am going to look at a few "how to make outside reptile cages " type sites as might be worth it.

I have made things before but not a cage.

I have my two 2x2x4 Repti breeze cages outside and have had no issues. I have had for almost 4 months and no rust as of yet. they are not under direct rain but do get misted for more than an hour everyday.

Thanks , notice you are in Hawaii , a friend was there not long ago saw some of the most stunning Jacksons he ever saw.

I use a coated chicken wire. My one chameleon tore his feet up, and we think the uncoated chicken wire was the culprit as he likes to climb up the sides. I would not recommend using that. Yes, there are bugs and things that can enter through the holes, but I feel it is much more secure compared to regular screen. I really don't worry about predators too much. I do not leave them outside at night though.

Thanks I am going to look at pvc coated wire as saw it in 1/4 inch rolls and might just make my own.

You do not leave outside due to predators?

I ask as also in Florida , Key west .

I'm in Florida as well and mine are out year round. Fire ants tend to be your biggest concern as anything else will not make it through the 1/4" hardware cloth. On the really cold nights I put a heat source near the cages and if it gets close to freezing you can wrap them in plastic sheeting.

Thanks I am going to look at pvc coated wire as saw it in 1/4 inch rolls and might just make my own.

If you do end up building it can you please take pictures of your progress from start to finish and post a materials list and how to build the cage on the forums please? I know a lot of forum's members would really benefit from that and I know I would as well! :) good luck with everything

If you do end up building it can you please take pictures of your progress from start to finish and post a materials list and how to build the cage on the forums please? I know a lot of forum's members would really benefit from that and I know I would as well! :) good luck with everything

I don't think forum members would benefit from my construction "skills" , last year I built a bird house and wound up twice in the hospital and spent over $160 doing it over and over.

I recently put together some lawn chairs and after some heavy rains they came apart (good thing no one sat in them).

I have made a few things that worked out so not a total disaster but overall what takes the average person a few hours as far as cage construction goes can take me several years.

I am looking at few links someone sent me and this looks good.
http://cages.net/

I'm in Florida as well and mine are out year round. Fire ants tend to be your biggest concern as anything else will not make it through the 1/4" hardware cloth. On the really cold nights I put a heat source near the cages and if it gets close to freezing you can wrap them in plastic sheeting.

I had planned to bring inside if nights are going to be colder then 65.

It is a bit warmer here than rest of Florida and think last winter we had 3 night of 60 as coldest.

As you know few yrs back we had freak freezing spell. You do keep your chameleon outside all winter?

I am looking at jackson chameleon .

It is a bit warmer here than rest of Florida and think last winter we had 3 night of 60 as coldest.

As you know few yrs back we had freak freezing spell. You do keep your chameleon outside all winter?

Can you make a 3'x4'x6' high cage? If so then you could leave a jacksonii outdoors year round except for those freak freezing spells. Mine are outside into the 40s. As long as there are no extended periods of those lows where they cannot warm up during the day they will do fine.

I no a guy who keeps his jacksons, parsons, mellor and carpet chams outside in the uk in greenhouses with mesh tops for 9 months of the year

If your coolest temps are 60 degrees you will have no problem keeping Jackson's outside year round as long as you have adequate means to cool them in summer.

My Jackson's regularly see temps into the low 50's with no problems.

If you have a link to the 1/4 PVC coated wire I'd love to see it. I've had trouble finding any.

Back
Top Bottom