What do I use on the bottom of my veiled chameleon cage?

I don't understand why so many people think its best to have nothing on the bottom. First of all, it looks totally ridiculous. Second, it has no ability to retain moisture. And third, it makes it harder to clean. I've been using reptile carpet and it works great. It can hold lots of moisture and still dries out between misting. It stays fairly clean by just picking any debris off it and if it gets dirty just give it a quick scrub in the tub and it comes out good as new.

Reptile carpet can harbor bacteria espically if it sits flat on the ground with no air space on the bottom. I use built in drain trays in my custom cages and on top of the drain pan is a plastic grid and on top of the plastic grid is filter fabric. The filter fabric is that black fabric you use in the garden under mulch to keep weeds from growing. Has been working great but may change to green outdoor carpet for better drainage. I still get a few puddles on the filter fabric. Wonder if it would open up a bit if I ran it through the washer?

you don't want to put anything in the bottom. the point is to not have any standing water because of bacteria. paper towels can be used but you have to change them out every day because they also harbor bacteria.

the best way to go is to have a bare bottom, drill holes so the water has a place to go, and put a bin underneath to catch the water.

some people like to put stuff on the bottom but its NOT worth the risk of making your cham sick just because you want it to be aesthetically pleasing. I get compliments on mine and it doesn't have anything on the bottom. Just the white panel that came with it.

remember chameleons are arboreal so there is absolutely no need to worry about putting anything on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom