ways to identify the age of our new veiled cham fam!

LayneScaley

Our friend gifted us Layne Cham! But we don't have any idea how old he is. Any advice? He looks like less than 12 inches including tail length. Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• 73444008659__73C883AD-BD7C-4CCB-8DF2-3F27805CBF35.jpeg
    73444008659__73C883AD-BD7C-4CCB-8DF2-3F27805CBF35.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8232.jpeg
    IMG_8232.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 8
Hi there welcome to the forum. Can you post a few more pics of him from all angles?

I do see a few things in his enclosure that would be a concern. Let us know if you want to do a husbandry review.
thank you for the warm welcome here are his pics from all angles! sorry he is basking right now so this color is normal right? when I fed him dubia roaches and hornworms for nice snacks he showed his real colors. We just got him last April 8, 2024, and he is still adjusting but getting comfortable patrolling his enclosure. thank you for the links I followed them as well.

thank you for the warm welcome here are his pics from all angles! sorry he is basking right now so this color is normal right? when I fed him dubia roaches and hornworms for nice snacks he showed his real colors. We just got him last April 8, 2024, and he is still adjusting but getting comfortable patrolling his enclosure. thank you for the links I followed them as well.
IMG_8262.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8264.jpeg
    IMG_8264.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8265.jpeg
    IMG_8265.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8269.jpeg
    IMG_8269.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8268.jpeg
    IMG_8268.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8263.jpeg
    IMG_8263.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 7
Sorry that’s all I can do with the angles cause I don’t want to stress him up when I go closer. Hope it helps. And the first pic is the current enclosure. I ordered more branches to go around the enclosure.
How much and how often is he eating and what are you feeding? He is on the thinner side.

Can you tell me about your UVB fixture type and bulb strength? I want to make sure it is correct so you do not deal with MBD developing.

How much and how often is he eating and what are you feeding? He is on the thinner side.

Can you tell me about your UVB fixture type and bulb strength? I want to make sure it is correct so you do not deal with MBD developing.
I’ll take a photo of the uvb we are using. It doesn’t say anything but it came from the kit we got. I’m feeding him hornworms, Dubia roaches and coated with vitamin D3 and calcium. (Dubia roaches small 5 max or 6 a day and couple of hornworms and mealworms). I don’t have idea how many to feed because we don’t know his age. Thanks!

I’ll take a photo of the uvb we are using. It doesn’t say anything but it came from the kit we got. I’m feeding him hornworms, Dubia roaches and coated with vitamin D3 and calcium. (Dubia roaches small 5 max or 6 a day and couple of hornworms and mealworms). I don’t have idea how many to feed because we don’t know his age. Thanks!
Ok so using calcium with D3 at every feeding is going to cause an overdose. This causes major issues in their bodies.

Can you take a pic of the supplement labels so I can see exactly what you were sold?

Do you have a link to the kit you purchased?

Ok so using calcium with D3 at every feeding is going to cause an overdose. This causes major issues in their bodies.

Can you take a pic of the supplement labels so I can see exactly what you were sold?

Do you have a link to the kit you purchased?
I don’t do it everyday for the vitamin d3. Thank you for helping us and zoomed is the brand of the kit.

What is the ideal UVB so we can get it thanks
You want a 24 inch T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb. I recommend the 24 inch Arcadia brand ProT5 with the 6% bulb. The fixture type in the kit you got is correct but is too short of a fixture for an adult cage. Also I hate to tell you this but the cage size in that kit is too small for an adult male. You want a 24x24x48 inches.

Regardless with the fixture you have now. You want it set on the screen top more towards the middle of the cage. And you want a 8-9 inch distance between the screen top and the branch directly below it to put the cham in the correct UVI level he needs.

This link will take you to a husbandry page with correct info on how to care for them. Then ask any questions you have here... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Just due to some of the aspects you have mentioned I would recommend a husbandry review to ensure you have been given all the correct info. For example for chams you want calcium without D3 at all feedings and then two times a month you would use a multivitamin like Repashy LoD or Reptivite with D3 on the 1st and 15th. Both of these options have vitamin A and D3 which is very important but both if not used correctly can create an overdose in their body. These are details that people that are not in the hobby can get wrong and they give people the wrong info in turn causing deaths in chameleons.

If you would like to do this you would copy and paste the form below into your reply and then fill it out with as much detail as possible. Then one of us will do a full review for you and make sure you have the right info. @MissSkittles please watch this thread with me in case I am offline and they do the review.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom