Wanna Guess a Panther Locale?

My guess........

I guess I got to this party a little late. I'll give my thoughts anyway. I was going to say Ankaramy. I've hatched and raised some Ankarmay and the males looked like these males do. Incredibly similar. I've got two clutches of Tamataves growing up now and the males look nothing like these do. I've hatched a dozen clutches of Ambanjas and none of the males looked anything like these either. I've also hatched out Sambavas and Ambilobes and none of the males looked like these males do. I'm really putting my bet on Ankaramy.

Thanks, Catherine! That was a great answer! I have my first ever hatchling male Ankaramy but he's only 6 days old so I don't have a whole lot to compare to yet. But, you can't definitely see why I'm suspicious of them being Ambanja. To throw a possible curve, though: the mother of this clutch is one of the largest females I've ever owned and I do know she was imported and housed with typical Ambanja males.

Probably a Cross........

My WC Ankaramy females have mostly been on the small size. I have had a couple of large ones though. It sounds like your babies are an Ankaramy/Ambanja cross. Years ago I bought an Ankaramy/Nosy Be cross from a breeder friend. She had bought an entire clutch of what was supposed to be pure Ankaramys. As they grew up she knew something was not right. I bought one male and one female from her to have as a pets. She couldn't sell them or keep them for any sort of breeding purposes. The boy pictured below is that male. He was never bred but he was a totally awesome pet. Wicked personality and wicked good looks:

Kieran2.jpg Kieran3.jpg

I think this picture will give you an idea of how your little babies can look so Ankaramy now but grow and color up to have some Ambanja traits as well. The male above started out to be a reddish pink. The Ambanja/Nosy Be colors kicked in later. I bet your babies are going to look wicked!

Forgot to say........

I forgot to say that I let that male "play" with his sister a couple of times. There is a picture of them together out on my patio in my forum gallery. One of my favorite pictures. I did not incubate the clutches that were laid as the result of this "play time". The sister was one of those females that would solicit males by perching in full view of them with her tail up. A real flirt. They both had fun getting what they "wanted" and I didn't confuse the genetic pool any further by hatching out their offspring.

Out of experience form travels to Madagascar you can never be sure where a pardalis is from. Usually they catch them from all sort of regions and but them together, you are also never sure about females being the color they say they are because the females all kind of look the same and are all put together from different regions. Also what we call 'ambilobe' for example, is a color you will see in madagascar on different places also outside the region of 'ambilobe'. Seeing the picture I would say it's a female. Looking at the blue cheeks it could be Nosy be, but also could turn out to be ambilobe, but if it is female you will never be able to know 100% what it is. If you really want to be sure, you actually will ave to catch a couple of adults yourself, but as that's not allowed you are depending on the people of Madagascar, which do not really care where the animal is from, as long as they get paid...

*Edit*

I see a lot of people thinking Ankaramy, but my experience is Ankaramy is a color that takes quite long to kick in. A male panther takes about a year or more to get his full colours, as these animals are quite young, I don't think you can say much about it yet..

I see a lot of people thinking Ankaramy, but my experience is Ankaramy is a color that takes quite long to kick in. A male panther takes about a year or more to get his full colours, as these animals are quite young, I don't think you can say much about it yet..

While the full coloration does take well over a year to develop I have found pink or rose colors coming out on the baby Ankaramy at a very early age. It makes them look like they are "blushing". My babies did this as young as Kent's little babes. Having had the opportunity to have them in person and watch the progress of coloration I feel pretty confident that there is some Ankaramy blood in these little beauties. Kieran, the Ankaramy cross pictured in this thread, looked Ankaramy as a baby with pinks and rose colors. The blue coloration came in much later.

I'm no expert, by any means, but I would vote for Ankaramy as well. My ambilobe male wasn't anything special when he was very little (3 months), just a brown/tan little thing. But at the same age my nosy be was already a very pale aqua blue. Therefore, with the shade of peachy pink the males are, I'd put my money on Ankaramy. Just a guess!

Thanks Kent! She's beautiful and very colourful, but alas, that is no help to me, as I am not versed in Panther locales/colours. Now someone tell us!! :)

While the full coloration does take well over a year to develop I have found pink or rose colors coming out on the baby Ankaramy at a very early age. It makes them look like they are "blushing". My babies did this as young as Kent's little babes. Having had the opportunity to have them in person and watch the progress of coloration I feel pretty confident that there is some Ankaramy blood in these little beauties. Kieran, the Ankaramy cross pictured in this thread, looked Ankaramy as a baby with pinks and rose colors. The blue coloration came in much later.

Ok, thanks for the info, learned a bit more. In my country isn'te much information available about Ankaramy so it's always usefull to gather information from other country's where other species are being kept more often then here ;)

Lol Rocky.

I would have to say ambanja just because she is so purple, I know thats like there gravid colours but still, she is not as light or pink as you would think an ankaramy female is?

Back
Top Bottom