Very ill Male Panther, unknown reasons SOS.

I would like to know what lighting you would recommend for my chameleon in this cold climate, I've been hearing contradictive methods.

The vet said that while he is so ill the temperature should be 70 degrees at night and 90 in the day, but the members of this site seem to think it should be far lower, especially at night...

and how much fluid should I be giving him? The vet thought that 2ml once a day was enough whereas I was feeding him 5ml twice a day.

Thanks for advice.

I would like to know what lighting you would recommend for my chameleon in this cold climate, I've been hearing contradictive methods.

The vet said that while he is so ill the temperature should be 70 degrees at night and 90 in the day, but the members of this site seem to think it should be far lower, especially at night...

and how much fluid should I be giving him? The vet thought that 2ml once a day was enough whereas I was feeding him 5ml twice a day.

Thanks for advice.

Your vet is correct with the temps, however i hightly doubt that at night its 70. With a 75w at night you are probably keeping it around 85. I wouldnt be suprised if you are breaking 100++ during the daytime with dual lights going.

Essentially, you are cooking your chameleon right now. Lets hope that there is still a chance to reverse it, if hes a fighter, i can see this dude making a full comeback.

You still have not anwserd what type of cage he is in. Im gonna take a guess its glass based on his condition (between that intense of lighting, no thermometer, and the lighting you have) Can you let us know please?

Hi Dibbles,

I agree with your vet on the temps, however, i find it curious that he based the range on your chameleon being "ill". It is well known that most reptiles suffering from a bacterial or viral infection benefit from higher average temps, because their immune systems operate better at the warmer end than they do when the animal is cold. Same for humans... that's why we get a fever when we are sick.. our bodies are boosting up the temps so our immune systems will be more effective.

However, I don't consider dehydration to be an "illness" in the sense i was just describing, and so keeping your cham warmer than normal would probably just aggravate the condition. Things dry out faster when they are hotter, so i would presume that persistantly hot temps for a dehydrated chameleon would not be helpful.

So long as we still think he is suffering from dehydration mostly, i would keep his temps within the standard accepted optimal range.

Also, i have heard of chams being given IV's for very serious dehydration. Has your vet discussed this as a possibility?

Good freakin luck to you

- Joe

At the moment (10:00pm) the thermometer reads at about 68-69 degrees, this is with JUST the 75 watt moon light. (night light)

His cage is nylon mesh with a tubular plastic frame with a zip up front about 4ft by 2ft.

During the day his lighting is a day lamp 150 watt and a UV tube light, we only use the 100 watt infered light at night when the temperature drops below 60 degrees.

At the moment (10:00pm) the thermometer reads at about 68-69 degrees, this is with JUST the 75 watt moon light. (night light)

His cage is nylon mesh with a tubular plastic frame with a zip up front about 4ft by 2ft.

During the day his lighting is a day lamp 150 watt and a UV tube light, we only use the 100 watt infered light at night when the temperature drops below 60 degrees.

Well thats good then to rule stuff out, thanks for letting us know, it was information i did not have with my previous posts :(

How is the little guy doing now? Is he any better? I agree with the vet, keep the temps up. We have a tortoise and reptile rescue as well and when anyone of them get ill the first thing we do is raise the temps. We currently have 2 in isolation with temps up to 95/80. Did your vet tell u to come back in a week for a recheck or something? In the meantime, continue showers. I would do them up to 2 x day if you can for about 1 hour each time. Warm water only. Also have you tried the bug juice on Adcham? I used that when my female was egg-bound for 4 wks and thanks to the juice, and everyone on the forum, she pulled through. I would give you the link but i don't know how to do it. Go on to Adcham and you will see it right under the title. Good luck

Debby

Thanks for all your help, everyone, but sadly he finally died, well at least his suffering is over. Again thanks for everyones help...

Back
Top Bottom