Veiled Male or Female?

Daydrmbelievr80

Curious to know whether Tiptoe is a male or a female. 6-7 month old vieled, we have had him/her for about 2 werks. I keep going back and forth on their gender. I want to be prepared with an egg bin if they are a "she".
1000005627.jpg
1000005631.jpg
1000005568.jpg

I should add, don’t take my word as 100% as I am still in my first year with these lovely guys and I’m still learning. BUT I do not see a spur, the cask and color also look to be female IMO.

Some more pics. Shes not as yellow as these might suggest, the lighting seems to throw off the color on my phone. We've had her since just before Christmas. Spent two months researching chameleon husbandry with my 9 year old before we took the plunge.
1000005612.jpg
1000005622.jpg

Seems like she does it immediately after eating and if I've been looking at her long. I assume she's annoyed with me when she does it.

Around 80 in her basking spot, 70s range through most of her enclosure with a drop into the 60s at night. I've never seen her with her mouth open other than a few times when she opened and closed it quickly when she appeared upset.

She is beautiful! Sometimes when chameleons point there heads up like that it means they are sick. Did you get her from a reputable breeder? Us know how she goes.

Hi and welcome to you and your beautiful girl Tiptoe. :) I love her name...cute cute.
I too have to ask about the head tilt. Usually it’s respiratory infection that is of primary concern. If you hear any noises from her breathing, she’ll need to see a vet. Other signs are of course, the head tilt along with thick ropy saliva, labored breathing, lethargy, not basking, not eating. If the only time she tilts her head is when she’s eating, maybe her feeders are a bit of a challenge for her to swallow - try smaller ones. She could also maybe be gulping her food too fast and is needing to use gravity to help get it all down.

Just to check that your husbandry is not affecting her could you fill this out? I am new to chameleon keeping to but did a lot of research and feel like I know my husbandry. 😂😃 But hopefully someone with longer experience like @MissSkittles or @elizaann2 will look over it too.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hi and welcome to you and your beautiful girl Tiptoe. :) I love her name...cute cute.
I too have to ask about the head tilt. Usually it’s respiratory infection that is of primary concern. If you hear any noises from her breathing, she’ll need to see a vet. Other signs are of course, the head tilt along with thick ropy saliva, labored breathing, lethargy, not basking, not eating. If the only time she tilts her head is when she’s eating, maybe her feeders are a bit of a challenge for her to swallow - try smaller ones. She could also maybe be gulping her food too fast and is needing to use gravity to help get it all down.
I haven't seen any of the other symptoms you describe, but I've been feeding her large (gut loaded) crickets so maybe we should switch to small until she's a bit bigger.

Can you fill out the husbandry form when you get time? Few things I’m seeing in the pics. The very front of her mouth where the lip line does not come together has she had that since you got her? May I see a few close up pics of it as well?

She is adorable and petco does not mean bad… my male veiled is a petco boy I got when he was 4 months old and he is now 5 1/2 years old 😊

Back
Top Bottom