Veiled Chameleon Starved?

I have a lot of pretty battered up wild caught chameleons (I work with a very rare species that hasn't been bred in the US). I am very protective of them because of all they have gone through to get into my hands. I understand how you will feel about making it right for him.

But please, heed my advice and don't handle him.

To take him to the vet, just put them in some sort of little box. Separate boxes for each of course. Put in a little towel or paper towels for padding. I will twist a few paper towels into a little rope and wrap that paper towel rope around the bottom of the little container. You do not want him to be jostled or have to suddenly grab to keep his balance. Make sure the box is secure--I've taped boxed shut. If you are using something like a shoe box, you definitely want the top taped shut (bring extra tape to the vet). You can punch a few holes in the side with a screw driver before you put them in their boxes. I use little plastic totes made by Sterlite that are about 6 or 7 inches tall and 11 inches or so long with snaps on the ends that keep the top on securely (with holes of course). I then put that box in a dark bag or put a dark towel over top. I keep them in the dark until the vet comes in the room to examine them. I won't let the vet tech get weights ahead of time--too much stress pulling them out of the box repeatedly. When the vet is finished looking at them, I put them back in the box and back into the dark.
ya i will. I'm not sure how they're liking being outside. Bien has turned to a full on dark green color and Rango has his back feet on the branch and his fronts on the screen. He looks pretty light though.

ya i will. I'm not sure how they're liking being outside. Bien has turned to a full on dark green color and Rango has his back feet on the branch and his fronts on the screen. He looks pretty light though.

They might go black or almost black in the sun. That's not a stress color, it's them turning dark to soak up the heat. They actually need to heat up their skin to manufacture D3. They also might lie sideways and get really flat. Again, it is them just getting as much skin exposed to the sun as possible.

A light color, on the other hand, is not great . It could be that he is over heating and is blanching but I don't think that's the case. Just watch out for it the longer they stay out.

Can you post a picture of his cage or did you already do that? Make sure he has lots of places he can get out of the sun. He'll need to escape the sun to adjust his body temperature (thermoregulate). Can you send a picture of both of them in the sun?

Back
Top Bottom