Veiled Chameleon Starved?

• I have a male who is said to be two years old. I just got him yesterday.
  • Interaction - I handle him all the time along with my female chameleon i got 2 days ago.
  • Feeding - The past almost 2 days i've hand fed him (had to make him angry to open his mouth or he wouldn't eat) crickets and flies. I fed him 8 crickets in one setting the first day i got him then the next day around 9 a.m 2 gut loaded crickets and 2 flies. I don't have a set schedule yet because i've only had him for almost 2 days. I give the crickets orange cunes by flakers and gel water.
  • Supplements - I haven't dusted my crickets because i use a UVB light and i am afraid they'll get too much vitamins and get sick.
  • Watering - I have a 2 water drippers and a mister. It varies which one i use. If im gone for a few i use the dripper if i'm at home ill use the mister (i'm usually home) I mist them very often and mist til the plant's leaves have big water drops. I don't think i've ever seen the chameleons drink.
  • Fecal Description - I've only had him for almost 2 days so i'm not too sure what his fecal matter looks like. I don't know if he has ever been tested for parasites.
  • History - History? Not sure.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - The cage is screen. Stands up 3 feet and width is around 2 feet.
  • Lighting - The lighting brand is zoo-med dual lights. On the dual one bulb is UVA and the other is a night bulb. From 6 a.m to 8 p.m i turn on the day bulb. From 8 p.m to 6 a.m i turn on the night bulb.
  • Temperature - The basking spot is 95-100 and the floor is around 75. 60. Terrarium Thermometer.
  • Humidity - I'm not sure what the humidity level is but i mist the terrarium to cause humidity.
  • Plants - I'm not using any live plants for him, but this weekend i'm goning to get a bonsai tree so i can run it up the middle so he has that to climb on as well.
  • Placement - I have a fan on top of my desktop but not near him. Not near any high traffic areas. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? I don't understand this question.
  • Location - We are geographically located in south central tennessee.

Current Problem - The current problem is I recently bought two chameleons from separate people. I'll tell you the whole thing. The female is just fine, pretty happy and fat, but very territorial. The male looks like a leaf (he's so skinny), he's not as territorial... atleast he doesn't try to bite me or hiss anymore. He's pretty relaxed honestly, but so skinny. Anyway we bought him from a couple (i think they were a couple and young) They had a very nice car and very nice clothes (i mean we do too but you'll see in a moment why i'm bringing this up) I found him on craigslist and the guy put on there that they simply didn't know how to take care of him and bought him from some girl. In the picture he didn't look so small. When we arrived to the meeting location we got out and greeted them. Unlike the oriental people we got Bien se long from, they had Sid's (i changed his name to Rango) laying flat on the seat in his cage instead of upright!! He hurriedly took him to my dad and gave Rango to him. My dad put him UPRIGHT in the car and shut the door. His cage smelt weird the whole thing did. I inspected him but it was dark. The guy also said, keep in mind we're doing this around 12 a.m) that he hadn't fed him yet. That means he hadn't fed him in a day!! The guy basically took off after we handed him the money and got in our own car. He had a dual light zoo-med (basically everything the other people gave us with Bien Bien so i think they bought the chameleon kit) They had many heat bulbs along with a UVB bulb but no night bulb. (we got him one tho). We were driving down the road when i turned the light on and my dad checked him out. We noticed how small, frail, and how saggy from all of the weight lose. (the crickets they gave us were in better shape). Later when i was unpacking everything in my room ready to put him on my long table with the female on the other end. Well as i was sorting things, i found a little bag (the ones you see in movies with inmates or something with them folded over multiple times with like drugs in em) with bath salts him them. my mother smelt them and so did i and i realized they smelt exactly like his cage. I don't think chameleons are supposed to have that... Anyway my mom said they might've been druggies but i just kept thinking how well kept they looked for a 'druggie'. So after explaining all of this, what should i do? How do i get him plump like Bien? What all do i need? Any suggestions?

• I have a male who is said to be two years old. I just got him yesterday.
  • Interaction - I handle him all the time along with my female chameleon i got 2 days ago.
  • Feeding - The past almost 2 days i've hand fed him (had to make him angry to open his mouth or he wouldn't eat) crickets and flies. I fed him 8 crickets in one setting the first day i got him then the next day around 9 a.m 2 gut loaded crickets and 2 flies. I don't have a set schedule yet because i've only had him for almost 2 days. I give the crickets orange cunes by flakers and gel water.
  • Supplements - I haven't dusted my crickets because i use a UVB light and i am afraid they'll get too much vitamins and get sick.
  • Watering - I have a 2 water drippers and a mister. It varies which one i use. If im gone for a few i use the dripper if i'm at home ill use the mister (i'm usually home) I mist them very often and mist til the plant's leaves have big water drops. I don't think i've ever seen the chameleons drink.
  • Fecal Description - I've only had him for almost 2 days so i'm not too sure what his fecal matter looks like. I don't know if he has ever been tested for parasites.
  • History - History? Not sure.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - The cage is screen. Stands up 3 feet and width is around 2 feet.
  • Lighting - The lighting brand is zoo-med dual lights. On the dual one bulb is UVA and the other is a night bulb. From 6 a.m to 8 p.m i turn on the day bulb. From 8 p.m to 6 a.m i turn on the night bulb.
  • Temperature - The basking spot is 95-100 and the floor is around 75. 60. Terrarium Thermometer.
  • Humidity - I'm not sure what the humidity level is but i mist the terrarium to cause humidity.
  • Plants - I'm not using any live plants for him, but this weekend i'm goning to get a bonsai tree so i can run it up the middle so he has that to climb on as well.
  • Placement - I have a fan on top of my desktop but not near him. Not near any high traffic areas. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? I don't understand this question.
  • Location - We are geographically located in south central tennessee.

Current Problem - The current problem is I recently bought two chameleons from separate people. I'll tell you the whole thing. The female is just fine, pretty happy and fat, but very territorial. The male looks like a leaf (he's so skinny), he's not as territorial... atleast he doesn't try to bite me or hiss anymore. He's pretty relaxed honestly, but so skinny. Anyway we bought him from a couple (i think they were a couple and young) They had a very nice car and very nice clothes (i mean we do too but you'll see in a moment why i'm bringing this up) I found him on craigslist and the guy put on there that they simply didn't know how to take care of him and bought him from some girl. In the picture he didn't look so small. When we arrived to the meeting location we got out and greeted them. Unlike the oriental people we got Bien se long from, they had Sid's (i changed his name to Rango) laying flat on the seat in his cage instead of upright!! He hurriedly took him to my dad and gave Rango to him. My dad put him UPRIGHT in the car and shut the door. His cage smelt weird the whole thing did. I inspected him but it was dark. The guy basically took off after we handed him the money and got in our own car. He had a dual light zoo-med (basically everything the other people gave us with Bien Bien so i think they bought the chameleon kit) They had many heat bulbs along with a UVB bulb but no night bulb. (we got him one tho). We were driving down the road when i turned the light on and my dad checked him out. We noticed how small, frail, and how saggy from all of the weight lose. (the crickets they gave us were in better shape). Later when i was unpacking everything in my room ready to put him on my long table with the female on the other end. Well as i was sorting things, i found a little bag (the ones you see in movies with inmates or something with them folded over multiple times with like drugs in em) with bath salts him them. my mother smelt them and so did i and i realized they smelt exactly like his cage. I don't think chameleons are supposed to have that... Anyway my mom said they might've been druggies but i just kept thinking how well kept they looked for a 'druggie'. So after explaining all of this, what should i do? How do i get him plump like Bien? What all do i need? Any suggestions?
First of all, chams don't like to be handled. At all. It really stresses them out and it's best that you don't handle them all the time. Are the male and female housed together? Pics would be helpful

Also you HAVE to dust the feeders with calcium without d3 every feeding and calcium with d3 once every 2 weeks along with a multivitamin. If they don't have calcium, the female can become egg bound and die (they lay infertile clutches even without mating a couple times a year so you need to get a laying Bin set up asap) and also your Cham can develop MBD

Welcome to the forums. Most likely he has parasites. I recommend a check up and a fecal to check for parasites by a vet that has reptile experience. Where do you live? I might be able to refer a good chameleon bet. Also chameleons do not need any kind of lights at night. They need it cool and dark to sleep. The male and female should not be allowed to see each other or it will stress them and stress can kill. Here's a link to my blog for new keepers.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/

First of all, chams don't like to be handled. At all. It really stresses them out and it's best that you don't handle them all the time. Are the male and female housed together? Pics would be helpful
He seems to like it honestly. She does too. The like to climb all over the place. And i know that they get spots when they feel threatened but they don't do that unless their in their terrium and im trying to get them other than that they turn to an almost very light color. No they're not housed together. The solid green one is my female (but you probs knew) and the other 3 are my male. He was a deep brown because he was trying to blend in with the habitat. Which worked really well it took me a little bit to find him.

Attachments

• h8IZjd.jpg
    h8IZjd.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 391
  • bBQP9C.jpg
    bBQP9C.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 379
  • QRGhGT.jpg
    QRGhGT.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 261
  • sAtR72.jpg
    sAtR72.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 427
Chameleons don't change colors to blend in. They change because of mood :p I always thought they changed colors to blend in when I was a kid until I really started researching them haha!

Also you HAVE to dust the feeders with calcium without d3 every feeding and calcium with d3 once every 2 weeks along with a multivitamin. If they don't have calcium, the female can become egg bound and die (they lay infertile clutches even without mating a couple times a year so you need to get a laying Bin set up asap) and also your Cham can develop MBD
yes i already have a laying place. I have a big ole potted plant for her to put them in. That's fine, right? I'll be sure to buy the calcium and multivitamin first thing tomorrow

Welcome to the forums. Most likely he has parasites. I recommend a check up and a fecal to check for parasites by a vet that has reptile experience. Where do you live? I might be able to refer a good chameleon bet. Also chameleons do not need any kind of lights at night. They need it cool and dark to sleep. The male and female should not be allowed to see each other or it will stress them and stress can kill. Here's a link to my blog for new keepers.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/
We live in tn. We were gonna buy a ambilobe panther chameleon but since i'm a beginner i thought i should get a veiled chameleon first.

Your female shouldn't have her mouth open. What's the temp. in her cage? Your male has MBD (metabolic bone disease) and the vet will also need to treat that with liquid calcium. If you don't know how old the UVB lights are then you should buy new ones. If you can get him some outside time in a screen enclosure in the shade that will help too. Don't cook him in the sun. He'll get plenty of UVB even in the shade. Here's some info about MBD.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

Your female shouldn't have her mouth open. What's the temp. in her cage? Your male has MBD (metabolic bone disease) and the vet will also need to treat that with liquid calcium. If you don't know how old the UVB lights are then you should buy new ones. If you can get him some outside time in a screen enclosure in the shade that will help too. Don't cook him in the sun. He'll get plenty of UVB even in the shade. Here's some info about MBD.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/
I was actually just typing the thing about the male having MBD when you posted that haha

Back
Top Bottom