Veiled Chameleon not laying eggs.

Danielle,

I have no clue how to pronounce that name!! LOL My milksnake's name is Tango. Here's a pic of him with my boy!! That was in January ... both are bigger now!! :)

I didn't know you could get geckos to lay their eggs in a box! Do you know of a website where I could get info on that in case I get them?

BTW - My avatar is a pic of my oldest male Veiled. He's not the father of the eggs though. His name is CRAZY !! That was the name he came with when I got him. I named the father of the eggs Jaspur ... just cuz the males have SPURS on the backs of their feet! ;)

Dyesub Dave. :D

Attachments

• Kyle-Tango-R.jpg
    Kyle-Tango-R.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Veiled Breeding Age & Frequency

Hey everybody,

I have another female veiled that I'm waiting until the new year to try and breed. She'll be around 11 months old by then. I was just wondering what the frequency between breeding for female veileds should be? I know I've read it somewhere but can't seem to find it now!

I'm in no rush to breed my 7 month old who just laid eggs right now but I was just wondering what a good amount of time to wait is? I'm guessing around 3-6 months or so. I just want to make sure that if I do decide to breed them more than once that I'm not going too fast for them. I don't want to wear them out!!

Danielle,

I have no clue how to pronounce that name!! LOL My milksnake's name is Tango. Here's a pic of him with my boy!! That was in January ... both are bigger now!! :)

I didn't know you could get geckos to lay their eggs in a box! Do you know of a website where I could get info on that in case I get them?

BTW - My avatar is a pic of my oldest male Veiled. He's not the father of the eggs though. His name is CRAZY !! That was the name he came with when I got him. I named the father of the eggs Jaspur ... just cuz the males have SPURS on the backs of their feet! ;)

That is a nice looking Honduran. I like parents raising kids with "exotic" animals. I think it teaches them to appreciate them, instead of grabing an ax and chopping their head off in the garden. (sorry kinda grusome :D) But seriously if you don't know about them you are in return usually afraid. But then again not all parents could handle a snake in the house! But for the cresties lay box I just used a shoebox sized rubbermaid container with a lid on it and cut a hole into the side. It was filled with damp bed-a-beast (I'm not sure what it is called now but it is the stuff that looks like a brick and expands in water) The cresties would lay their eggs in there, but if I didn't look it there for a while it was okay because they could have incubated in there and been fine. I don't have a website about it, and can't remember how we found out about it, but that was how we did it at school with all the cresties we had. But if I do ever find anything like that on any of the care sheets online I will let you know. Your male on the avatar is beautiful, I can't remember if you posted pictures of Jaspur or not but I am sure he is a stunner too!

Danielle,

Yeah .... my son loves all the animals we have. There's a forest & pond behind where we live and we often go for nature hikes and find turtles, snakes, salamanders, ... etc. I've tried to teach him how precious and delicate nature is and to not be afraid of different creatures but to learn about them instead and find out how fascinating they are.

I know the stuff you mean I use it in my reptile & amphibian enclosures. Thanks for the instructions. If I get these guys I'll look for more info online!

Jaspur generally stays brown now that the females are out of his house! I need to get him a larger home too. But he does have excellent colours when the girls are around !! ;)

I've been thinking of moving this conversation to another thread as it doesn't really apply here but I'm not sure how. If you know how could you move it ?? And then I'll post some pics of my other pets and the cresties if I end up getting them. Maybe you could post some pics of yours as well??

I don't know how to add our side convo to another thread. I am fairly bad when it comes to computer stuff. I will get pictures of my animals, but the only reptiles I have currently are my 2 chams, and then 2 cats and a dog. I haven't had my cresties for a little over a year now. I sold them to one of my friends. But once I get pictures I can start a new thread, people might start to get confused if they go to the last page and we are talking about cresties and not a veiled :) But if you go to pangeareptile.com he has some good info. (I might be biased though because I know Matt, but all of my cresties came from him and they were beautiful!) If you figure out how to move our non-chameleon rants please let me know because I am really good at going off topic, and that would be good to know how to do so :D

I don't know how to add our side convo to another thread. I am fairly bad when it comes to computer stuff. I will get pictures of my animals, but the only reptiles I have currently are my 2 chams, and then 2 cats and a dog. I haven't had my cresties for a little over a year now. I sold them to one of my friends. But once I get pictures I can start a new thread, people might start to get confused if they go to the last page and we are talking about cresties and not a veiled :) But if you go to pangeareptile.com he has some good info. (I might be biased though because I know Matt, but all of my cresties came from him and they were beautiful!) If you figure out how to move our non-chameleon rants please let me know because I am really good at going off topic, and that would be good to know how to do so :D

OK Danielle,

Why don't we just start a new thread under general discussion and whoever starts it just let the other one know!

OK ... I cleaned out the breeding enclosure and put the female back in a couple days ago to have some space and recover. However ... it isn't very big and she doesn't seem overly happy in there.

I previously had her in with another female in a large enclosure containing a Hibiscus bush. I've been wondering if she'd be happier in there? I was just concerned about them getting along and wanted to make sure that she was back to normal again before putting her back in. I guess I could try it for a day and see how it goes.

Any suggestions??

Hey Dyesub Dave!

I just thought I would "pop" in for an update on your female/eggs. Do you think she has another clutch in her? Unfortunatly I think I only have 7 good eggs out of the clutch, but it was her first time! I hope that your eggs have better odds than mine! Hope all is going well!

Dani

Hey Danielle,

Sorry to hear about your eggs!! Well good luck with the 7 you have left.

All my eggs seem to be doing fine so far .... knock on wood ... oowwwwww !!

I put the female in the large enclosure with the other female and both seem to be fine with it. She's eating well and slowly getting back into shape. No sign of another clutch yet but ya never know??

I've put a couple pics of my male veileds in the Members Gallery. The one SHOWING OFF is the father of the eggs. Check em out ...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=2223

You have 2 very handsome chams there! I am glad to hear that your eggs are doing good! I am sure they are all good, or they probably would have started to mold. I am just hoping that my 7 good eggs stay that way! :)

Congrats on the eggs!

Congrats on your eggs! I've been away from the computer since last week so I just saw this thread. I'm glad your girl did so well. You look like you've got her eggs well situated. It's always a relief to see the female eat and drink after laying. We will have to start another link on Crested Geckos. I just got 14 of them. I got three from Pangea Reptiles. They are so cute. It's still weird watching them catch crickets. After years of having chams and seeing them zap their tongues out to snag a cricket so gracefully, it looks strange to watch geckos hop around and pounce on crickets. Not nearly as graceful :) Good luck on your eggs!

Question About Eggs

Hey All,

Just an update on the eggs. It's been almost a month and all of the eggs seem fine so far! (Knock on wood!) I assume this is a good sign. Once they've made it past the first few weeks with no problems does that indicate that most will likely survive? I realize that anything is possible and problems could arise due to many variables but I'm just trying to find a way to gauge their progress!

Thanks .... Dyesub Dave. :D

Hi Dyesub dave,

Nice set up you got their. I'm planning on breeding this year and i was wondering if you could help me with that type of incubator. you think you could give me the instructions on how to make that kind of incubator.:confused:

Thanks,
Spike the Chameelon:D

Hey Spike,

It was fairly easy to make. I used a styrofoam cooler with a notch cut out in the corner for the heater cord. A piece of marble on the bottom to stick the submersible heater to. I then filled approx. halfway with warm water. I found 2 empty VHS cases to hold another piece of marble above the water. ( I'm sure you could use anything flat & solid ... slate, plexi ... whatever!)

I bought a flat tupperware container and used a pointed object to put holes around the perimeter. I filled the container halfway with a dampened vermiculite/sand mixture. I used double sided tape to attach some thick cardboard to the lid of the tupperware container to help stop drippage on the eggs.

I put the eggs in the tupperware container half buried in the mixture about an inch apart and then put the lid on. Place the styrofoam lid back on plug the heater in and you're done.

Hope that makes sense!! Good Luck!

EGGS UPDATE!!

All of the eggs still seem good. However some are still white and some are more of an almost clear tan colour. None have fungused yet. So I'm hoping that they will all still hatch. I know it's getting close to the time so I'm getting pretty anxious. I check them every 2 or 3 days just in case!!

I'll post with some pics as soon as they hatch!!

Last edited:
Haven't heard from you for awhile and was wondering how your girl is doing? Do you have any eggs yet? You think this is bad, it gets worse waiting for the eggs to hatch.

Debby

Yeah ... I kind of jump back and forth between fish forums for a while and then reptile forums. It's too hard to keep up with all of them at once! LOL

Here's some pics of my latest fish ...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/new-discus-9908/

I'm not sure which eggs your talking about as now I have new ones. The eggs from this thread are about 5 months old and I'm anxiously waiting for them to hatch. The other eggs were just laid tonight and I started a new thread for them.

So many EGGS so little TIME !!! LMAO
(Plus all my fish are breeding like crazy too! I SOOOOO need a little warehouse somewhere! )

Back
Top Bottom