Uvb reading? Solarmeter 6.5

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
people currently using the solarmeter 6.5, was wondering what readings you look for? And when to replace? I was doing searches, but a lot were from years ago, i saw someone say around .5, mine is in the 1.5-3.0 so i'm thinking maybe i should raise up my uvb?

Someone posted some readings recently but I don't recall any of the parameters ... have you used the search?

I have been trying to find the "right" answer also. So far there isn't one. I first learned about the Ferguson Zones which said that most chameleons should be in the 0.7-1.0 UVI range. I believe this was based on the average exposure of where they are found under the canopy. Then I learned another theory that the basking spot should be comparable to the annual average full-sun UVI of their native habitat. The number I heard was 3 - 5 UVI for panthers. In that case there needs to be a gradient down to zero in the cage so that the animal can self-select its UV exposure based on its needs. The problem is that UV and D3 supplementation are interrelated, and nobody knows how much of either is "enough". There is certainly a potential danger of UV overexposure which could cause skin and eye problems long term. Of course, we are already flirting with the dangers of D3 overexposure. So, many people choose to stay with the "tried and true" method of a 5% bulb with relatively low UVI and the every-other-week D3 supplementation. Others are increasing the UVI and decreasing the D3 supplements, with the idea that the animal can do a better job of controlling its own D3 production than we can guess with supplements. You should listen to this and come to your own conclusions: http://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-55-mbd-uvb-with-john-courteney-smith/

Now for what I do: I have a 1.5-year-old panther and a 5-month-old panther. Both have quad T5 hoods with an Arcadia 12%. The older guy's basking spot is reading about 1.5 - 1.7 UVI. I'm thinking that is getting a little low, but he also gets outside when the temperature is above 70 (SoCal) so I'm not too worried about it. This chameleon usually stays near the top of his cage and only goes down towards the end of the day. The younger has an almost-new bulb and his basking spot is 4.5 UVI. His not-in-the-heat-but-close-to-the-UV branches are about 2.7. He has areas lower down that are zero UVI. This guy will spend time basking in the 4.5, then move to the 2.7, and end up in the zero by early afternoon. I figure he is growing and has a lot of Calcium metabolism going on, so he probably needs more UV. Once I even found him hanging from the top screen, basking, right under the UV bulb in a UVI of about 11. I've only seen that once, though. On the D3 side, I'm only dusting with pure calcium. I mainly feed the bugs with Bug Burger which has an unknown amount of D3, so I'm thinking some is still passing through. I will dust with Repashy Calcium Plus maybe once a month, more for the other vitamins than the D3. So far both chams seem to be doing well. But, I don't have a lot of experience so don't take this as advice. If we all report on our guesswork maybe we'll come up with an answer.

I've searched around and seems to be 1.5-3.0 for basking spots with around .5 throughout the rest of the cage. When I use my meter even right under the bulb(reptisun 5.0) it only reaches mid 3's or so. That seems kind of low doesn't it?

I use the Solarmeter 6.5.

For my panther, Todd from Lightyourreptiles told me a good reading is 2.5 for young/juvies, and 3.0-3.5 for adults. This reading is right under the light. The highest point in which your cham can sit under the light.

Back
Top Bottom