Urgent! My chameleon needs surgery or she'll die. Need advice please.

Today she's been extremely restless, she has been up and down the whole day, climbing through the walls of the cage. Everytime she goes to the laying bins however she goes back up, she barely stays down there for more than 20 seconds.
I wonder if I should put her in the other laying bin I have which is much bigger... I did mention I wasn't going to disturb her but she's been so active today, maybe she is finally going to lay the eggs.
Do you think I should disturb her and move to the bigger laying bin? She literally has been climbing across the cage the whole day, still no food though.

I would try to hold out and leave her alone. Try not even letting her know you are checking on her. She knows where and what the laying bins, so she can take it from there. You are both in my prayers.

Thank you Laurie, I fully agree with you, she won't be disturbed. It's just so frustrating that she is spending time everywhere in the cage besides the laying bins.

How old is she? Sadly I had to put dizzy down Because of the same problem also because she was so old that the cards were stacked against her!

There is light at the end of the tunnel though!!

They can inject your chameleon which will force her to rid these eggs but move quickly as some chams begin refusing to eat so don't let her become weak!!

My vet quoted me £500 for surgery.

Check them out via phone call, seers croft, in West Sussex and explain your problem!

How old is she? Sadly I had to put dizzy down Because of the same problem also because she was so old that the cards were stacked against her!

There is light at the end of the tunnel though!!

They can inject your chameleon which will force her to rid these eggs but move quickly as some chams begin refusing to eat so don't let her become weak!!

My vet quoted me £500 for surgery.

Check them out via phone call, seers croft, in West Sussex and explain your problem!

The OP is in Netherlands.

Hope she lays soon. Kath.

Dropanuke...oxytocin has already been tried...and will only work if the timing is right. Sorry you lost your chameleon though.

Last edited:
Just checking to see how your girl is doing today.

Nothing yet?

Sometimes, if you dig a 'pilot' hole in the lay bin, it can stimulate digging behavior.
This is what I have read, but as I said before, I stay away from females, and not interested in breeding, so I have no first hand experience.

What is the soil in the lay bin like?
Is it moist and firm enough to hold up to digging a hole w/o caving in?

Also, is it possible that she does not think the cage is a safe spot for her eggs?
I know they are not fertile, but they can be very picking where they lay.

I just hope she lays them all soon.

Last edited:
Hello everybody, thanks for your comments. Yes, Dropanuke, as Kath mentions, the opp is in Amsterdam, but thanks for the suggestion. Also, like Kinyonga mentioned, we have already tried that without much success, maybe we should have waited but it's done now.
Psychobunny, thanks for chime in, she already has a "pilot" hole in her bins, I have read about it and gave it a go, but she only walks over it.
No improvements on the egg laying but also, no changes in her health. She still doesn't eat but she is as lively as ever and if it wasn't for the X-rays, I wouldn't even know that she was going through all of this.
Surgery is scheduled for first thing on tuesday, so she only has today and tomorrow left.
I was even thinking of trying to move surgery for friday, but that might be pushing it too much...

You are working with what your girl is doing, that is all you can do. If you want to change the surgery date, you are the only who can see her and tell if she is in distress and needs the vet right away. I am known for doing things somewhat different with my chams. Over the years, I have determined what works for my chams, my awful weather, and for me. Trust your judgement, you know what you are doing. We are all here for support!!

You are working with what your girl is doing, that is all you can do. If you want to change the surgery date, you are the only who can see her and tell if she is in distress and needs the vet right away. I am known for doing things somewhat different with my chams. Over the years, I have determined what works for my chams, my awful weather, and for me. Trust your judgement, you know what you are doing. We are all here for support!!
Thank you very much! I have spoken to my vet today and surgery will be tomorrow. Let's hope everything goes well.

Excellent, I will be waiting to hear all is well. It is always a relief when our worlds are back in order.

Thank you very much! I have spoken to my vet today and surgery will be tomorrow. Let's hope everything goes well.

I'll be keeping you and Ninja in my thoughts and prayer.

My girl Lottie is 98 grams and still eating and wobbling around. I picked up some fresh oxytocin from my vet so I will have it on hand if I need it.

Excellent, I will be waiting to hear all is well. It is always a relief when our worlds are back in order.
Thanks Laurie. I'll post an update as soon as it's all done.

I'll be keeping you and Ninja in my thoughts and prayer.
My girl Lottie is 98 grams and still eating and wobbling around. I picked up some fresh oxytocin from my vet so I will have it on hand if I need it.
Thanks Jann, tonight is going to be a long night I think. It's great that you can administer oxytocin yourself if needed be, I didn't know that was an option.
I'm sure Lottie will pull through! We are all rooting for her :)

Ninja made it!

The vet has just called me, surgery went well and Ninja has pulled through. He says it was one of the hardest surgeries he has ever performed. Thankfully not complications as of now. I will be able to pick her up in 3 hours, she was just waking up now and they want to keep her there for observation before releasing her to me.
He says that he has kept the ovaries (apparently huge) and all of that for me to see... It's probably quite gross but if you want to see I can post some pics.
Thanks so much everybody for the support! Let's hope there aren't any post surgery complications!

The vet has just called me, surgery went well and Ninja has pulled through. He says it was one of the hardest surgeries he has ever performed. Thankfully not complications as of now. I will be able to pick her up in 3 hours, she was just waking up now and they want to keep it there for observation before releasing her to me.
He says that he has kept the ovaries (apparently huge) and all of that for me to see... It's probably quite gross but if you want to see I can post some pics.
Thanks so much everybody for the support! Let's hope there aren't any post surgery complications!

That is great news! I will be praying that she has a full recovery.

I am just sooooo happy for you both!! I was sure you would know what to do and when it was the time to do it. One of the hardest things to learn is that we will all help you as best as we can, but you are the one who can see your cham. You and your vet are to be commended for saving Ninja. Now we will hope for an easy, speedy, recovery,

Thank you very much everybody, Ninja is definitely feeling the love. She looks amazing, she doesn't even seem uncomfortable, she is moving up and down like nothing has happened. The scar is all stitched up and within a month the stitches should be ready for removal (unless they have fallen out by themselves).
Check out all she had inside, I don't know how can they fit so much in!

Attachments

• IMG_6561.jpg
    IMG_6561.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6564.jpg
    IMG_6564.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 133
Back
Top Bottom